Early Scrambles Greeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Scrambles Greeves

I picked up a programme for a Bagshot Heath scramble in 1952 at a local postcard fair today.

Listed was number 23, F. Byford, OWLS club, riding a 197 Greeves.

Surely this must be one of the earliest recorded appearances of the marque?
    Attached Files

Not sure about earliest, but I'd put money on me being there!

Comment

Names

There are also a few other well known names:- Hagon, Sheehan, & Moram, that left their mark on motorcycling history.

Perhaps forum members in the South-East Centre, or elswhere could add more?.............
      Last edited by Phil Hyde; 04/11/2012, 01:55 PM. Reason: more words

Comment

Great find, Rob

It was pretty early. Frank Byford's first appearence on one of the XP4 prototypes was at Pattens Farm, West Hanningfield in Essex on 24th August 1952.

There were earlier Greeves' competition appearences though. Fred Jessamy raced one of the trailing-link prototypes (XP1/3 or XP2) in late 1951/early 1952 - until the long bolt holding the forks on sheared, putting him in hospital.

It was shortly after that incident that they were dismantled and scrapped.

Development of the alloy beam was well under way by that time so the XP4 prototypes were built- with leading link forks. The rest is history...
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

A couple of names to add to the remembered list: Jerry Clements and "Pop" Palmer, whose son Dave made those lovely silencers that actually worked well and improved power!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
            I picked up a programme for a Bagshot Heath scramble in 1952 at a local postcard fair today.

Listed was number 23, F. Byford, OWLS club, riding a 197 Greeves.

Surely this must be one of the earliest recorded appearances of the marque?
            I think Frank Byford tested the prototype suspensions in scrambles

Comment

That was £1 well spent then!

Here are the rest of the competitors as well. Lastly, I have attached the explanation for the purpose of the meeting, often absent from events of this kind.

The announcer was a certain Les Archer and Clerk of the Course Battery Quartermaster Sergeant G.Wood - could that be Ginger? Chief Marshal was Company Sergeant Major J.Bird so I bet all the marshals' flags had no creases in them!

I also (£1) picked up a programme for the 1956 Sunbeam Point to Point which was held just down the road from me here on the South Downs in West Sussex. It was a national, trade-supported event involving the likes of Jeff Smith, Mike Jackson, the Rickmans and the Sharp brothers. Also present was a certain B.G.Stonebridge on a 148cc BSA in the Lightweight, 348cc BSA in the Junior and 499cc BSA in the Senior!

The land belonged to Graham Beamish (or maybe still his Dad, Bill at that stage). Graham of course, went on to own Beamish Motors, the South Coast Greeves dealership. For a description of the course, being tested by Johnny Giles amongst others, see Motor Cycle, 15th March 1956.

A motocross (whatever that is!) practice circuit is still in use at the spot to this day, in the ownership of the Beamish family.
              Attached Files

Comment

Sunbeam Point to Point, Tottington Mount, Shoreham, Sussex

22nd April 1956. Conditions: Dry, sunny

Results:

Lightweight:

Triss Sharp 200 Francis Barnett
                Bryan Sharp 200 Francis Barnett
                Derek Rickman 200 DoT
                Bill Barugh 200 DoT

150cc Class Winner: A. Shutt, 125 Francis Barnett

Brian Stonebridge retired the 150 BSA on third lap

Dave Palmer on a 200 Greeves won a Second Class Award

Junior:

Geoff Ward 350 BSA
                David Tye 350 BSA
                Phil Nex 350 BSA
                Brian Martin 350 BSA

Brian Stonebridge was sixth on a 350 BSA

250 Class Winner: Triss Sharp, 200 Francis Barnett

Senior Race

Jeff Smith 500 BSA
                Les Archer 500 Norton
                H.R. Marsh 500 AJS
                S.H. Bray 500 AJS

Smith and Archer lapped the field…
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Well done Colin, all we need now is the pictures! I'll print that off and put it with my programme. Thanks, Rob

Comment

Working...
                  X