Renee Bennett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renee Bennett

There was a brief interview with Renee (spelling wrong?) and some great movie of her trialling a Greeves in colour on BBC4 tonight on a programme called British Passions on film part 1.I wonder what the film is as it would be worth watching the complete film.

This film has been posted on this site not too long ago. I remember seeing her at the Welsh 3/2 Day Trials in years gone by.

Comment

Renee Bennett

The film is 'Housewife Motorcycle Ace' http://www.britishpathe.com/video/ho...otor-cycle-ace

Comment

British Pathe Archive Greeves Films on the GRA Forum.

When Rob, Ian, Colin, Mike and I were involved in getting the GRA forum started I wanted to post something special as a kind of 'launch' item, and so that people would have something to look at when they registered. Of course, back then there weren't as many threads/posts to 'view' as there are now.

Prior to the forum going live, with this in mind I spent around three and a half months researching the British Pathe film archives looking for Greeves related material, and after trawling through nearly 1000 pages of the archive this thread contains links to the 38 or so films I found; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...hread.php?t=32 ,

I originally posted the thread nearly two and a half years ago now (24/1/10) and added the Rene Bennett film mentioned on 6/3/10. If you scroll down the 'listing' it is film number #10, and film #11 contains 11 or so additional minutes of outakes and extra footage.

I reckon you're right Stuart, the spelling is Rene as far as I know.

Brian.
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 12/09/2012, 07:37 AM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

Rene Bennett

I remember Rene riding in the 1970's & early 80's in the South Midland Centre. she rode for several years in the Brian Stonebridge Trophy Trial run (& stiil run) by The Cambridge Matchless MCC. Whilst Rene was a bit better than a novice (I think she did make SMC expert status) she was far from Mary Driver's & Penny Page's (another good lady rider) ability. When Rene fell off (as she did often) there was no lack of helpers to pick her up & get her back on her bike. Incidentally her bike BAN 88C (a 24TFS) does not appear to have survived, its not currently on a vehicle.
          Whilst talking of 'celebrity' riders, another regular trials rider in the SMC was Barron Knights pop group member Anthony Osmond. This was at a time when the Barron Knights were in the charts with their take off of other groups. I think they are still going. Tony was a fair rider by the way.
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 12/09/2012, 03:23 PM. Reason: Info on bike added

Comment

Rene Bennet and children before going to the Scottish .
            Attached Files

Comment

Spelling

I remember going to Renee Bennett's shop in the East end many years ago and I thought her name was spelt with a double "e". Might be wrong, but that's how I remember it.

Cheers,
              Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Z View Post
                I remember going to Renee Bennett's shop in the East end many years ago and I thought her name was spelt with a double "e". Might be wrong, but that's how I remember it.

Cheers,
                Andrew
                I seem to remember a bike shop in Barnsley bearing her name but I never went in

Comment

Andy ,

Everything on the interwebby shows it as Renee , even their own write up of the shop .

Oddly enough I bought a compressor from someone in Southend on e-bay , turns out it was from Howard Powell Mcs. at the shop in East Ham .

I phoned the Southend number and spoke to a women and made the collection date .

Thinking back it was probably Renee I spoke to but just did not make the connection .

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                    The film is 'Housewife Motorcycle Ace' http://www.britishpathe.com/video/ho...otor-cycle-ace
                    Its an interesting film but £40 is a bit expensive for 3 minutes

Comment

Rene Bennett film

You dont need to buy it just watch it on line for free. You need a good broadband connection though if not it takes ages to load up. May be possible to download it to DVD if its not encripted.

Comment

Renee Bennett film

Anyone have an idea where the film was shot? Looks familiar, but can't quite place it.

Cheers,
                        Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Z View Post
                          Anyone have an idea where the film was shot? Looks familiar, but can't quite place it.

Cheers,
                          Andrew
                          Possibly Liphook on MoD ground, & there is a rail line near by

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                            Possibly Liphook on MoD ground, & there is a rail line near by
                            John, that's exactly where I was thouhgt it might be! I've spend many happy hours doing enduros at Longmoor camp, the terrain looks very familiar.

Cheers,
                            Andrew

Comment

Renee Bennett

Sorry to come in so late on this one but I'm new to the club and the forum. As a trials rider in the Eastern/South Midland/South Eastern centre in the 60s and 70s I remember Renee well. With her make up and pink helmet she was the lady rider that got all the attention but as others have said she was not the same calibre as Mary Driver, Jill Savage (now McBeath) Joan Holloway (now Westbrook) etc.
                              From her shop in the East End she sponsored a young lad in our club (Chelmsford) on a 'Renee Bennett Montesa'. I think she was spun a yarn by his parents but it was obvious to us the poor lad wasn't star quality and he never left the novice ranks. To rub salt in the wound one of our rotten lot had his tank sign written 'Gordon Bennett BSA' !

Comment

Working...
                              X