Greeves Logo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Logo

Was the 'Greeves' logo hand drawn or is it a recognised typeface?

Hi tony, i always thought it was the old boys signature!. dave.

Comment

I am sure you are probably right, but when you see the logo on different items of garment I am surprised that it scales up so well from an original.

Comment

i guess its just scanned & enlarged!, there is a thread on the forum mentioning the logo somewhere & also a thread debating who owns the rights to the logo, which is worth a read. dave.

Comment

Greeves logo

Dave
          I think this is the thread you were refering to, posted by Phil Hyde

Greeves, the name

At the risk of raking over old ground, Greeves Motorcycles Ltd, registered the previously unregistered trade name of Greeves. At the time an unwritten arrangement was made with the GRA to allow continued use of what was effectively the original logo based on OBG's signature. The logo used by Greeves Motorcycles is a version of that.

At the time, the Norton name was being heavily protected by trademark lawyers. There would be little point in pursuing the protection of the Greeves name when there is so much old stock about and little or nothing to be gained.

When it comes to buying parts for your Greeves there is an old saying. Caveat emptor, let the buyer beware.

Phil

Comment

Yes, thats the thread john, thanks, so it looks like although the original was a copy of the bosses signature, the new owner of the brand, RD has the rights to tickle it around a bit to suit the styling of the merchandise for sale today. dave.

Comment

Greeves trademark

A small "Anorak" moment if you please.

The Intellectual Property Office website gives details of Greeves Motorcycles Limited case details for Community Trade Mark E1956317.

I wont bore you with the details.

Phil

Comment

Here you go - Bert's signature from his copy of the 1966 ISDT programme.

The Greeves logo was definitely based on his signature, right from the first production machines in 1954.
                Attached Files
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Greeves trademark

Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
                  A small "Anorak" moment if you please.

The Intellectual Property Office website gives details of Greeves Motorcycles Limited case details for Community Trade Mark E1956317.

I wont bore you with the details.

Phil
                  The said page http://www.ipo.gov.uk/t-find-number?...emark=E1956317

Comment

The reason

I wanted to write Grumph in the same style as the Greeves hence the original question about the typeface, I could cut the GR and find a similar font for the umph, anyone done it?

Comment

Brush Script MT isn’t far out. I used it on my closed trailer.

Any sign-maker should be able to make vinyl sticky letters to order.
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                        Here you go - Bert's signature from his copy of the 1966 ISDT programme.

The Greeves logo was definitely based on his signature, right from the first production machines in 1954.
                        ha!...that's cool. Before marketing and focus groups, brand awareness recognition studies were conducted, people just did things the straightforward way....

Comment

When I bought the tank badges for my project I opted for a pair that didn't have the model engraved on them ie Hawkstone, Scottish.... This leaves a gap in the bottom of the line running around the edge.... I intend (when it gets a bit nearer completion) to have B.S.A engraved into this gap... Think this should look OK and be a bit different...

Comment

Working...
                          X