Frits Selling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frits Selling

During my search for information on the Greeves involvement in the ISDT, my Dutch friend contacted Frits Selling, who rode Greeves extensively in this country and in Holland, in both Scrambles and in the ISDT. Unfortunately, Frits is not in the best of health, but has invited my friend to call on him and his wife when she is in their locale.
    I have sent some of my efforts that have been used in the Trial and MX News Quizzes for him to see, but if anyone on this forum who worked with or remembers Frits, I can send on their messages, or put them in touch.

I spoke to Frits a few weeks ago , he has Parkinsons Disease .

One of the nicest men you could ever wish to meet .

Chris

Comment

Hi Brian and Chris,

I found some good photos on the pre65 facebook page of Frits Selling and thought I would post them here. Interestingly, he modified his ISDT Greeves for motocross. All four pictures appear to be the same bike in various competitions. The last has a griffon? rear wheel and tank added with a different exhaust but was originally an ISDT (see the engine plates and headlight ears). Paul
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pgc40 View Post
        Hi Brian and Chris,

I found some good photos on the pre65 facebook page of Frits Selling and thought I would post them here. Interestingly, he modified his ISDT Greeves for motocross. All four pictures appear to be the same bike in various competitions. The last has a griffon? rear wheel and tank added with a different exhaust but was originally an ISDT (see the engine plates and headlight ears). Paul
        Great photos.....I love the motocross gloves Fritz is wearing - my dad used a similar pair in late 60's/70's - with the foam bead finger protection.........and I must admit - much better than the poor flimsy modern equivalents we have now when that rock decides to flip up and hit your fingers as you accelerate hard.....:

Comment

The gloves that Frits has were sold in the factory Spares Dept. , still have a pair in the cupboard , without the rubber , which perished .

Chris

Comment

Some more great Greeves pictures from the same archive - 2 of Frits - one of his brother Rob in the same race and another unknown British challenger rider competing over in the Netherlands ....can anybody name him?
            Cheers Kim
            Attached Files

Comment

Frits Selling

Kim
              The last picture is Alan Clough I reckon.

Druid

Comment

Druid - thanks for that - Clearly Alan had mastered the technique of power sliding out of the corners - It is a fantastic action shot from a great rider !. ...tell you what - the two photographers - track side of the bales must have had a shock when he blasted past them !! , Big crowd as well
                Cheers Kim

Comment

yep , I agree , last one is Cloughie .

Chris

Comment

And some more of Frits turning on the style on his challenger in this international motocross....
                    Attached Files

Comment

Frits selling

Hi All.

In reply to the pictures on 3rd thread, i think the bike is an early mx4 challenger, there were a few about with long stroke mx3/mx5 motors circa 1967, some had full width hubs, interestingly the production mx4s had griffon type hubs fitted as standard (unpolished rough cast finish) as griffon had polished hubs and revised brake plates. mx4 had the underslung exhaust aswell. I have 3 mx4s so i know them very well, especially the short stroke as pictured in the greeves book with frits riding

Regards

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by scott151 View Post
                        Hi All.

In reply to the pictures on 3rd thread, i think the bike is an early mx4 challenger, there were a few about with long stroke mx3/mx5 motors circa 1967, some had full width hubs, interestingly the production mx4s had griffon type hubs fitted as standard (unpolished rough cast finish) as griffon had polished hubs and revised brake plates. mx4 had the underslung exhaust aswell. I have 3 mx4s so i know them very well, especially the short stroke as pictured in the greeves book with frits riding

Regards

Scott
                        Hi Scott,

I think you're right - in the 3rd picture you can clearly see the curved frame rail on the left hand side. Odd that it has the BHC hubs and the older primary too.

Cheers,
                        Andrew

Comment

Frits

Hi Andy,

The works boys had mx4 framed machines in late 66, i have seen pictures of wadey on a 360 with bhc hubs, also the mx3 was a 66 production bike so some of the old engines probably got dropped into mx4 frames.

My dads friend bought a mx4 of John Pease, that had a long stroke motor and bhc hubs, thats the thing with Greeves there are loads around that have odd parts fitted like that

Me and Dad are rebuilding dads original short stroke mx4 at the moment, also my 360 i have is being rebuilt at the same time.

I am hopeing to get the 360 out on track this season as yourself and coxy are making me thrash the 250 to keep with you 2

Are you going to the pre65 agm Andrew?

Regards

Scott

Comment

Thinking back to the era, I can remember John Pease riding development bikes that were different in several respects to the production machines. I can recall one bike with a strange spacer under the barrel. Does anyone have any idea what that was?

Comment

Originally posted by scott151 View Post
                              Hi Andy,

The works boys had mx4 framed machines in late 66, i have seen pictures of wadey on a 360 with bhc hubs, also the mx3 was a 66 production bike so some of the old engines probably got dropped into mx4 frames.

My dads friend bought a mx4 of John Pease, that had a long stroke motor and bhc hubs, thats the thing with Greeves there are loads around that have odd parts fitted like that

Me and Dad are rebuilding dads original short stroke mx4 at the moment, also my 360 i have is being rebuilt at the same time.

I am hopeing to get the 360 out on track this season as yourself and coxy are making me thrash the 250 to keep with you 2

Are you going to the pre65 agm Andrew?

Regards

Scott

Hi Scott,

It would be great to see 4 360s out on the track! Its getting a bit boring with all those Griffons!

I wonder if there are any pics out there of Frits Selling's bikes fitted with the BSA gearbox?

I am hoping to make it to the agm - see you there, if you're going.

Cheers,
                              Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X