Engine plates colour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine plates colour

Could someone advise me please as to the colour of the engine plates ? Should they be silver or I suspect a light grey ?. I've just stripped off some nasty silver but there's grey underneath.
    Thanks

They were originally galvanised. However, the method used was spin galvanising. Not all galvanisers can do it. The finish is then mottled, or fleckled, not a flat silver/grey. If you can't get that done, then most people use a satin sliver paint, or powder-coat.

Comment

Thanks Ian. Silver paint it is.
      Barrie.

Comment

I find wheel silver from Simoniz or similar is toiugh and a good finish for most things.

Comment

Thanks, I think there's some lurking in the depths somewhere.
          cheers

Comment

I had an ex works ISDT bike and the engine plates were grey (they had air bottle and rock guards welded on by Greeves) check your frame number with club in case ex works bike.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pattinson View Post
              I had an ex works ISDT bike and the engine plates were grey (they had air bottle and rock guards welded on by Greeves) check your frame number with club in case ex works bike.
              Its a 25DB road bike John. 60/3006 dispatched 5/3/60 to R D Adlam, Basingstoke with dull chrome tank & finned hubs so would have had the galvanised finish on engine plates.
              Attached Files

Comment

Ah! not mentioned in posts.

Comment

It does always help if a poster declares which model the question is about at the beginning, in order to give more accurate info.

Comment

Thanks for your advice everyone. In my ignorance as a new Greeves owner I assumed all engine plates, whichever model, were finished in the same way.
                    Barrie.

Comment

Working...
                    X