Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silverstone Carb Wanted.

Hello Folks

Need help in aquiring a carb suitable for a greeves 250cc siverstone 1966 .
    I've got the old one in bit's awaiting spares from Burlen ,
    Have a mk11 concentro on order from Burlen , which they say as been withdrawn because of cold start problems .
    I have the use of a mk11 from a friend , but would love to get my hands on one myself or another suitable for use .
    So if there is any one out there with a carb suitable for use , could you please let me know , or anywhere where i will be able to obtain one .

cheers Mark

Another source of supply of Amal carbs and parts is Surrey Cycles. I believe the carbs from Burlen are to the original design but some of those from Surrey cycles have 'modifications' and some of the parts are not interchangeable.
    Having said that, didn't all the Greeves road racers originally come with an Amal GP carb as standard? Both Burlen and Surrey are able to supply GP carbs, at a price.
    WELCOME TO SURREY CYCLES Large stockist of?Amal Carburettors Our full range of complete carburettors include... MKI Concentric two or four stroke engines petrol or alcohol. MKII Concentric two or four stroke - petrol or alcohol. MKII Concentric Smoothbore. Monobloc 375, 376 and 389. Pre Monobloc model 276 and 289
    John A - 268

Comment

The "right" carb for a 24RDS Silverstone is a 1 3/8" Amal 5GP2, which is what it would need for a restoration back to original.

If you're going to race it a Mk2 Concentric is the way to go (unless you want to try a Mikuni, but you might run into eligibility problems). Probably make sense to go for the Smoothbore racing version.
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

i have the original carb , which I'm awaiting new slide .
        Ordered a mk11 , but this again is on back order , they are awaiting parts to make this up .But they also say they have problem with cold start .
        I think I'll try surrey cycles .
        Again , if anyone as a spare , which they are wanting to sell .

Comment

Cold-starting a Silverstone with a Mk2 Concentric?

You'll need to arrange a handlebar choke control so that you can reduce the amount of choke once it fires. Spring-loaded so that you hold it in the choked position as you push-start and then ease it back under spring pressure as the bike starts.

Quite fun while you're in the hectic middle of a 250 Singles grid...
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Colin, would you not have already warmed the engine up prior to the race?

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
              Colin, would you not have already warmed the engine up prior to the race?
              Yes, but the procedure's the same, it still needs a bit of choke (in my experience that is).
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Amal Carbs

There seems to me some confusion as to the new manufacture of Amal carbs.
                On one hand we have Burlin Fuel Systems who make a big thing about their product being the 'original' Amal. & to be aware of 'poor quality' patten Amal parts being sold by other companies.
                On the other hand we have Surrey Cycles also selling the 'genuine' Amal.
                As I understand it, maybe I am wrong, Burlin hold the rights to the Amal name & actually manufacture new carbs & parts using the original Amal Tooling. In which case they should be able to produce a new Amal carb to original specifications. So where does this leave Surrey Cycles, are they just an agent for Amal & buy the product from Burlin?
                Finally there appears to be other 'far eastern' manufacturers of some Amal parts (jets, floats, slides etc) for which, according to Burlin, the quality is questionable.

Comment

Working...
                X