Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement hub/wheel needed

Front Wheel or Hub needed

The brake drum on my bike is very worn - looking for a replacement 21" front wheel or just a hub that i can have built into a wheel

I believe its known as a 6" full width hub

as per the picture attached

Not sure if these can be relined - ?

many thanks

Russell

Click image for larger version

Name:	greeves hub.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	95586

Have it skimmed and then oversize linings fitted. Villiers Services do these. Chances of finding a good unworn drum is unlikely.& costly

Comment

Thanks John

i suspected as much regarding availability - the drum is still round - it has new shoes but it seems the lever has to pull a very long way before the brake starts to come on, figured the lining was worn out. I think the oversize linings route is the most likely solution​. It doesn’t do lots of miles - 1000 per year max, so additional wear isn’t a great issue.

I’ll keep an eye out at auto jumbles for a hub in the future.

Russell

Comment

The best way to go is oversize brake linings, much cheaper than a new hub, here is a link to Villiers Services web page https://villiersservices.co.uk/produ...ining-service/ They state: We re-Line the shoes to their original width, if you require under or oversize linings, please let us know on your note with the shoes. To measure and exact size, all you need to do is measure the inside diameter of the hub and the outside diameter of the shoes on the back plate (excluding the current linings) write those sizes down with your letter and we will do the rest

Comment

Thanks John

Comment

I've had excellent service from Villiers including both ends of the Tri-Greeves which they're just done for me. Perfect lining to hub clearance. Their high friction woven lining works very well.

Comment

It seems like such a waste to not be able to re-line a hub.

Comment

Working...
              X