Stepped bolt on brake side of the torsion arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stepped bolt on brake side of the torsion arm

The Silverstone TLS front brake has a torsion arm which has two special stepped bolts which allow it to pivot with the suspension movement - a long bolt which attaches to the fork leg and a short one which bolts to the brake face-plate. I am after the short, brake end one of these. Any ideas please?

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I think this is the part you need, the brake torque arm bolt. If you can't find one you could try Rob Thornton to see if he has the drawing, although I don't know whether it is a Greeves or a British Hub part. Worst case I can lend you one so you can make a copy or I can draw it up for you.

Comment

Thanks Kevin and that is exactly the part. I have the rear one which I have taken to a local engineering shop asking them to use the dimensions - basically it is the same just the front one has to be shorter. The trouble is they are very busy and not that interested in doing such a small job.

Comment

Originally posted by 1340fxd View Post
          The Silverstone TLS front brake has a torsion arm which has two special stepped bolts which allow it to pivot with the suspension movement - a long bolt which attaches to the fork leg and a short one which bolts to the brake face-plate. I am after the short, brake end one of these. Any ideas please?
          If you are stuck you can use a regular bolt with a separate sleeve that matches the i.d. of the torsion arm. I did similar on my Silverstone till I found and original part. The nut on the inside needs to be a slim nyloc type and the torsion arm must be tethered properly. It should be allowed to "float" and have no influence on the brake plate other than preventing it rotating.

Comment

Good idea/mod using a standard bolt and sleeve, I think you mean its the bolt head that needs to be slim as the nut fits on the outside on the torque arm. Bolt head easily ground down on a bench or angle grinder if you dont have a lathe.

Comment

This is actually what the engineering shop owner suggested and one day when he is not so busy I hope to get the sleeve. In the meantime my hunt for an original bolt will continue so if anyone knows where there is one that would be much appreciated. Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                Good idea/mod using a standard bolt and sleeve, I think you mean its the bolt head that needs to be slim as the nut fits on the outside on the torque arm. Bolt head easily ground down on a bench or angle grinder if you dont have a lathe.
                No the nut has to be thin. There isn't a lot of space to get a regular size nut in behind the anchor lug and brake plate.

A regular bolt head would have been better on the original part. The two flats on the original are very narrow and it makes it a tad fiddly trying to keep the spanner on when tightening it.
                Last edited by 46T Sprocket; 09/04/2019, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X