Grumph's Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chrome headlamp

First attempt at getting an old headlamp rechromed revealed a lot of small holes under the old pitted plating rendering it too difficult to replate.

Fortunately I picked one up from Bill Littles the other day for £7.00 . Good result on that one, though plating is not cheap nowadays.

I might fill the holes in the other one and have it coloured the same as the frame with a chrome rim, unsure on that yet.
    Aesthetics are an important part of getting the grumph to look right,
    so many I have seen seem to be just any old bit bolted on without any thought for how it looks. No doubt some would argue
    that is how all 'bitsa' are made -using what is lying around or is cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
      First attempt at getting an old headlamp rechromed revealed a lot of small holes under the old pitted plating rendering it too difficult to replate.
      Fortunately I picked one up from Bill Littles the other day for £7.00 . Good result on that one, though plating is not cheap nowadays.
      I might fill the holes in the other one and have it coloured the same as the frame with a chrome rim, unsure on that yet.
      Aesthetics are an important part of getting the grumph to look right,
      so many I have seen seem to be just any old bit bolted on without any thought for how it looks. No doubt some would argue
      that is how all 'bitsa' are made -using what is lying around or is cheap.
      Hi Tony,
      It looks like your project is going well. I cant tell you how many parts I have pulled out of the box, shook my head and started looking for the same item in better condition, it seems to be the way projects go when you want something truly special. Keep up the good work and post your progress.

Best Wishes: Mike

Comment

Another useful piece

I picked this up from Netley Marsh yesterday

Seems to fit the new mudguard, can anyone tell me what model(s) it is actually from.

£10.00 which included 33.333% discount for cash

Comment

Excellent buy Tony ,

Could be from any bike with banana forks , gray or silver - Anglian , blue - maybe Challenger .

Chris

Comment

Panniers

I have decided to go for soft panniers on the bike, the hard ones are expensive and are the same size what ever you pack - which is always too much

I had an email reply from 'Dusty' who makes the racks for Wolfman in which he said he can sell just the hoop so I can fabricate the other bits to suit my frame.
            This is ideal as I can check the fit before powder coating.

My rear wheel has just been rebuild so it should arrive in the next few days - picture to follow.

Comment

Good Stuff

Hi Tony,
              I think you will like the Wolfman products as my friends have a lot of Wolfman stuff and it has been bomb proof. I am looking forward to seeing your racks.

Best Wishes: Mike

Comment

Handguards

Picked up some cheap hand guards at Kempton auto jumble on Saturday, one more box ticked.

Comment

Rear TFS Wheel

The wheel has just arrived, new stainless rim, alloy polished and stainless brake restraint- just the sprocket to sort out.

The front hub Norton hub is going to be sent off this week hopefully.

Comment

Lookin' Good.

: Mike

Comment

Speedometer position

I have tried a few positions for the speedometer and I think it sits best like the Triumph T100C, off centre. That way all the lights and switch on the headlamp can be seen.

If anyone has any suggestions

Comment

Speedo position

Looks pretty good to me. You are building a special it's your call.

As you said it looked right on the T100C.

Phil

Comment

You could always put a matching tacho on the left...
                          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Tachometer

I never been really that fussed about tachometers except on the Thruxton velo I use to own. It would balance the look but probably another unnecessary expense. That said the replica ones are quite cheap, the speedometer is a genuine one and the 120 mph ones are getting hard to find. I will think on this one for a while.

Comment

Norton spindle

Will from Stainless classics has sent me an adapted Norton Spindle and spacers to fit the Greeves forks. Excellent job and the brake plate looks better than expected.

since it has a Norton front brake he wondered whether it should be called a grumphton.

Comment

Banana forks threaded stud

I am missing the threaded stud that goes through both bearings, can some one let me know the length and size, Bsf thread etc. Also the top bearing is not threaded like my Scottish, it does not look like it has been threaded, I presume it should be?

Comment

Working...
                                X