Roadster rear sprocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster rear sprocket

Where would I try for a 46 tooth 428 rear sprocket for a roadster with tin hub with 1 7/8" centre hole? VS have none, and I could do with one pdq.

I have done a quick search but didn't find anything.

Many thanks

Ian

Hi Ian
    I got mine from Parkwood products
    I then had I zinc plated
    Gary

Comment

If Parkwood dont have one (they only tend to make a couple of spares of a part when someone orders) you could try Richard Deal Greeves Motorcycles greevesracing@aol.com or Sprockets Unlimited at Evesham 01387 831341 astrosprox@byinternet.com, or John Hemmings, Bucknell, Shrops 01547 530759
      You may consider an alloy one as this cuts out plating and many suppliers seem to stock alloy as against steel.

Comment

when I had my Scottish road registered, has a boss made up with rear wheel holes.
        Allan bolted to wheel, with nyloc's
        Pick a large centred After market 428 sprocket for Yamaha or Honda, cant remember.
        Outer part of boss was machined and drilled to suit, AM sprocket, available off the shelf at the local bike shop.

whitehillbilly

Comment

John Hemmings £75 plus delivery when I asked
          Platter charged me £5
          Parkwood sprocket at kempton auto jumble £30
          Not bad price and fitted well
          Gary

Comment

Thanks Gary. Bit of a pain in the b#tt having to get it zinc plated though. In my experience it is best to take a whole batch of bits at one go for plating. A one-off would be expensive, and no-one does it nearby to my knowledge.

Couple of ideas there John; thanks. I was wondering if anyone does them in alloy. I will ring around.

Thanks Whitebilly, but by the time I got that sorted out, I could just wait for VS to get them back in stock.

Cheers. Ian

Comment

Thanks Gary. Our posts crossed in the ether! £75? I'll wait for VS at that rate; phew....

Parkwood one sounds more like it, but the plating is a problem here.

The Talon ones from VS are £35 + VAT, and appear to be plated.

I might just wait! You know what it is like though; bike is on the bench, wheel out, sprocket off, and another bike waiting to get on the bench. It just clogs things up for a 2 or 3 weeks.

Cheers

Ian
              Last edited by IanCordes; 09/10/2018, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Talon do alloy ones, worth dropping them an email http://www.talon-eng.co.uk/contact-us/

Comment

I rang Talon, and an extremely helpful lady answered. She found an alloy 46T 428 blank, and said she would get the main man to ring me back. So far, no ring....

I think they only supply trade.

I may just wait. I don't need it to get to work.

Ian

Comment

rear sprocket

A few years ago and many scrambles since Sprockets Unlimited made me one. I just sent them a drawing with the holes marked and they supplied one. Give them a ring or if you go to a show they can discuss it with you. They will be at Stafford this weekend. It is an alloy one.

Comment

Rear sprocket

I have found Talon to be excellent quality and a good finish and fit

Comment

Sprockets unlimited have made 2 for my grumph, always helpful

Comment

Supersprox

The older members will remember Roger Maughfling and his sprocket making company Supersprox of Knighton Mid Wales. Supersprox were THE sprocket manufacturer of the 1970's. Roger was not only a good businessman but he also found time to get involved in various motor cycle events including the Welsh 2 Day Trial where he was for many years clerk of the course.
                          After Roger died the company seems to have been taken over by D Maughfling, Rogers son and the factory was moved to Krenova in the Czech Republic and now have three locations, the main production facilities being in Zhytomyr, Ukraine and Lowicz, Poland where they are still producing sprockets, but not on an individual basis as Roger did but massed produced ones for the motorcycle industry including the factory racing teams of KTM ag, Honda HRC and Yamaha.
                          They are now the biggest sprocket manufacturer in Europe. So there is money in sprockets if you go about it in the right way. I dont think though that they would be interested in doing a one off Greeves sprocket.
                          Here is a link to their web site https://www.supersprox.com/about/
                          Last edited by John Wakefield; 09/10/2018, 07:46 PM.

Comment

I did a lot of Welsh 2 day events with Roger M as CofC, he was a great person, but very laid back! One particular memory was finding him at one of the bike shows and being immediately promoted to stand-holder while he went to lunch with a potential big client in the Kart world.
                            Needless to say, technical questions came thick and fast, such a what gearing do I need for a Velo sprint bike????? I bluffed most of the questions and told the enquirers to come back later or phone Roger at the works.

Comment

Hi I can supply a 43 tooth, 1.870 id 5 bolt fitting, been hanging on the garage wall for many years, no serious offer refused or swap for a Challenger sprocket carrier. You could also try your nearest bearing supplier, probably will only supply a blank can you turn out the centre? Peter.

Comment

Working...
                              X