Rim sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rim sealant

On my trail bike (not a Greeves), I've awful problems with the inside of the alloy rims delaminating and turning to powder. I'm told that the application of a brush- on sealant would prevent / arrest this problem. Does anyone have any experience of this or can recommend a product? I don't want anything similarly nasty happening to the newly fitted Akronts on my TES. Many thanks.

Rims

Hi Dick it mainly happens on Jap rims that are anodized, the Akronts do not suffer from this problem so do not worry, just clean and forget. John P.

Comment

Rim sealant

Thanks John - that's a relief! I'd also been told it's because I use washing up liquid when tyre fitting, but I assume that's a red herring as I've been doing that for 50+ years! Cheers - Dick.

Comment

Dick, alluminium/alloy, only corrodes when moisture gets trapped, ie under crome plating/ powder coating etc, then as you say it powders up & pits.
        The alloy sweats & can`t breathe.
        Most alloys that are fully exposed to the elements but kept clean, have no problem, as the alloy itself forms its own protective coating.
        If you were to rub a piece of aluminium clean with emery cloth, within ten secounds, it will dirty up again. dave.
        Last edited by dave higgins; 12/11/2013, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Good points. Keeping tyres pumped up to 40psi when stored in the workshop will help minimise trapped moisture between inner tube and the rim. Also keeping the wheels of the ground to avoid flat spots.

Comment

Another tip put a small 0 ring or rubber washer (cut one from a piece rubber tube) under the valve securing nut to stop water entering.

Comment

Rim sealant

Thanks for the input everyone. John P has guessed correctly, the problem lies with 25 year old Japanese rims, which have also delaminated on the outside around the valve and security bolt holes. But I'm talking serious trail riding here, glutinous Essex mud up to 12" deep and water 2' deep on occasions! (No, not with the Greeves!). Thanks for the valve tip, John W, but as an ex-trials rider I've always tightened the securing nut up to the valve cap, not down to the rim. I'll take John P's assurance to leave the Akronts alone, and maybe resort to a coat of Finnegans Hammerite on the Jap wheels! Thanks again - Dick.

Comment

Working...
              X