Wheel spindle material type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel spindle material type

Does anybody know what steel is used to make Greeves pre 1960 wheel spindles and who can supply it? Better still who has a pre 1958 spindle for sale.Its the one that fits the 8" wide at the spindle forks.

Wheel spindle

Stuart

A good starting point would bee the nearest metric stock size in (bright) mild steel, or carbon steel as it is sometimes referred to. The originals would have been mass produced on a copy lathe, or similar. The internet is a great source of materials. Equally, autojumbles, particularly those at the big shows attract companies selling smaller amounts of steel and aluminium sections.

Hope this helps

Phil

Comment

Wheel spindles

Dave Pink may have some in stainless steel his number is 01223 880525
      I have some spindles for sale (not specifically Greeves) but may be suitable or able to be modified
      see: http://www.friday-ad.co.uk/YI207I2BG & http://www.friday-ad.co.uk/YI207I2C5
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 21/06/2013, 09:39 AM. Reason: Added info

Comment

East Coaster Information

Here's one that's right up John Wakefield's street! The East Coaster was fitted with MX bars I believe, are these the ones that Adrian Dickerson sells? The handlebar levers are they the alloy Docherty type combined with twistgrip and what are the grips that were fitted. Can you get the correct levers anymore? Thanks...John P.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pattinson View Post
          Here's one that's right up John Wakefield's street! The East Coaster was fitted with MX bars I believe, are these the ones that Adrian Dickerson sells? The handlebar levers are they the alloy Docherty type combined with twistgrip and what are the grips that were fitted. Can you get the correct levers anymore? Thanks...John P.
          John P
          Adrian does indeed sell the MX bars as fitted to East Coaster but it did not have alloy brake & clutch levers these were the standard steel DOHERTY ones without ball ends. The twistgrip was the standard item not combined with brake lever. The grips were the Doherty ribbed rubber ones

Comment

East Coaster Information

How's that for speed! Thanks John that,s great. I will try to get the Frame number for your register..John P

Comment

Stuart,

Get a bit of EN16T, that should do it. The Metal Man (Steve Taylor) sells it and in imperial. He gets around to most of the big jumbles, Kempton, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                Stuart,

Get a bit of EN16T, that should do it. The Metal Man (Steve Taylor) sells it and in imperial. He gets around to most of the big jumbles, Kempton, etc.
                Thanks again for all your relies.This forum is a great way of quickly getting answers. If anybody has any Greeves spindles 10" long please let me know.

Comment

Working...
                X