Re-Manufactured Parts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Manufactured Parts.

Elsewhere on this Forum, (Tool Boxes, etc.,) the topic of supply of re-manufactured parts from sources within the GRA sphere is discussed.
    As an overview, the 'raison d'etre' of the GRA in many ways was to keep bikes going by encouraging the dissemination of Information and Spares. When, in the mid 80s, both individual members and commercial concerns became involved, the task was made easier. However, some of the suppliers ideas of what was marketable was questionable at the very least. Similarly, parts made by one person for their machine, didn't neccesarily fit another. Some fitments, (Pete Smith's Sidestands for example), were brilliant and soon sold out. Others didn't and left suppliers, who had had big pre-orders with an embarrasment of riches!
    The GRA bought up spares and had some made. Andrew King, having access to the Factory Drawings, helped by allowing members to copy/fabricate from these. Later these passed to the GRA and are in the Archive. Often, even though the supplier did a god job, they didn't take into account the many minor changes in similar items. I had many fraught 'phone calls from purchasers who were dissatisfied in some way, I managed to sort most of these out, but right from the Start, Phil, Pete, Don, etc., and myself always ran the disclaimer in the LL just in case.
    We had hoped that some major manufacturer could be persuaded to take on parts manufacture. Sadly this didn't happen, but those like Nametab and Villiers Services do a grand job with what they've got.

As ever, its caveat emptor !

parts

could anybody tell me where I can find the following parts front brake springs front&rear brake arms for a greeves scottish circa 1961

Comment

Try http://www.villiersservices.co.uk/

Comment

workmanship

if you have to bend a bit of steel might as well bend it right thoes rear number plates were silly it took me 2min with a vice ! to put the dimples in the footrest i have are great adn the center stand great

Comment

Try the GRA!

Originally posted by fredhealey View Post
          could anybody tell me where I can find the following parts front brake springs front&rear brake arms for a greeves scottish circa 1961
          Hi Fred,

Being as you've asked this question before in another thread, I thought I'd reiterate and expand a little on what I posted in response. I'm not 'having a go' as such, rather reminding everyone, particularly our welcome guests on here (Basic Users) of what this excellent forum is about. I fully realise that you are only looking for a few bits for your bike, but nonetheless, it is perhaps a timely opportunity to post this response to your query for everyone's benefit. This is not me 'making policy' by the way, merely reminding everyone that it is an established matter of club policy as decided by the committee when the forum was originally established. As one of the moderation team, it is my duty to protect the clubs interests and monitor posts on the forum to ensure that these guidlines are adhered to. Happily, there have been very few instances where we have had to 'snip' innappropriate or counterproductive posts as everyone 'knows the score' and plays fair. Thanks for everyone's continuing support in this regard.

Whilst there are some retail sources (including autojumbles and the dreaded fleabay, if you're lucky!) for certain Greeves spares and related components, such as British Hub Company hubs (as fitted to many lightweights in the Greeves era), the best source of spares (as well as advice) for your bike is by far from within the Greeves Riders Association. As I've mentioned to you before in a previous post, many members successfully buy/sell/swap/trade spares via the members only section of this forum ('Sales and Wants') and the corresponding pages in our club newsletter 'Leading Link'.

Please remember that this forum exists as a resource primarily for GRA members, and is paid for, managed, and contributed to largely by them. I feel strongly that the success of this forum in helping Greeves enthusiasts with their machines is down to their enthusiasm and generosity and the time and effort they put in to make it what it is, simply the best online resource in the world for a Greeves owner.

Of course, the forum is also there to encourage interest in Greeves and attract new members to the fold, but it is most certainly NOT an alternative to GRA membership and a way of accessing the benefits of membership without joining the club. After all, no club = no forum.... There is already a wealth of information available on here (and freely given) to help Greeves enthusiasts and covering a wide variety of topics. But for more 'in depth' help, advice and information club membership is required, and rightly so. As a direct result of support received from GRA members on this forum, many fellow enthuiasts have happily decided to become full GRA (and forum) members and access the many benefits as outlined many times over. Many have also put something back into the club fot the greater benefit of all members. The cost of membership is small compared to the benefits, especially if someone is new to Greeves or classic motorcycles in general.

So, apologies for the rant but I felt it needed to be said.

Once again, I do hope you are successful in finding the parts you need for your Greeves.

Brian.
          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 11/06/2011, 12:51 AM. Reason: Tidy up.

Comment

Working...
          X