Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villiers 34A and Greeves/Villiers 37A

Hi all!

I want to first warn you of a few things...I can ramble , I don't often use the correct terminology and could possibly be termed "over passionate" ..

I will add too, that, the only hardcore "Greeves" experience I had was in doing a frame off "mechanical" restore of a 1962 Greeves 24MCS/2/808 West Coast desert racer with the Villiers 36A, whom we lovingly call "Eleanor or Ms Eleanor"...know them almost in and out. I love these bikes best, but love anything classic and vintage on 2 wheels...even enjoy the modern bikes

Brian I apologize now if you have to relocate any of my posts...I will do my best.

Sooo now I will get to the point.

I know, or rather, believe from research...the 37A is an engine with Villiers cases and a Greeves barrell and head...that is what is on the Ranger. However I thought they were the 9E or the 11 E cases. Research and my great Greeves book points out that the 32A and the 37 combo were the only Villiers pattons (word??) bought out when Villiers quit providing engines. That would have occurred around the birth of the Wessex, Anglian, and the Ranger?? Well, indeed anything post 1967-68 would have had the Greeves barrels and possible Villiers cases, correct??

The Wessex is clearly marked with the familiar to me crankcase plate...haven't heard of a 34 A on a Wessex...research points should be a 32A or the 37A combo...but I have gathered...was what was on the shelves in the one man assembly room is what was put together...fun I think! I will add that the Villiers ID lookup site returns no match on the serial #.

On the Ranger...have seen this combo on an Anglian...the case etched and the Greeves barrell and head...not with the 34A cases though.

The picture of the crankcase is followed by the correlating bike.

Just wondered if anyone could further my "Greeves" education beyond the research online and books. Feel free to correct my terminology also, won't bother me a bit

Am I on the right "path" with my above thinking??

Thanks all ahead of time and have a good one!
    Tammy in KY
    Attached Files

Wessex

Tammy
    From your pic the Wessex does not have a 34A cylinder, this is a trials/road 32A/37A type actually correct for the Wessex. The distinguishing feature being the bolted on carb manifold for clip mounting Villiers S type carb. The 34A (Scrambles) cylinder had a cast in mounting flange for Amal carb. Maybe the inner chaincase has been swopped from a 34A engine.
    The Wessex in the UK was in effect an Anglian with iron barrel. I note yours has a steel tank (presumably due to USA requirements) & lights which the UK Wessex never had as sold, although presumably a lighting set could have been purchased as an extra. The exhaust system looks right.
    The 32A & 37A were both genuine Villiers engines. They came with iron cylinders which Greeves removed & fitted their own alloy ones. Villiers would only supply complete engines to Greeves.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 27/01/2011, 09:54 PM. Reason: Info re 32A & 37A added

Comment

The Wessex had a steel blue painted tank as standard .

Chris

Comment

Thank you sooo much John, greatly appreciate your time and wisdom!

I wondered about the swath of blue paint by the neck of the frame or down shaft!

I do find it odd...all Wessex's USA side I have seen I assumed were the alluminum tank like the MCS's.

Though I am a sucker for that alluminum tank...work wise steel means more folks willing to work on it.

We sent Eleanor's tank to CA Speed and Sport...they did Phenomenal...had we not marked the underside of the tank...not sure I would have believed it the same tank

You have cleared soo much up for me...it's hard as soo much import or rather export information lost!

Have a great one and thanks for your time!
        Tammy

Comment

Hi all!
          Again, thanks for the info.

I spoke with a gentleman here, USA, that has about 80 Greeves..has sent quite a few overseas.

He was blown away with the Wessex, all the years he has had and done Greeves...only did one Wessex.

He advised me that the export Wessex was most often with the alluminum tank and that they were not painted the moreland blue...a shame, noble color if you ask me .

I am having a senior moment...spoke so long and about soo much...there was something else.

The gearing was different on export models too. Also, most of the handful of export models he has come across all had the headlights and speedo..must have been an american thing

All heresay I understand, but found it interesting to boot!

Thank again all and have a great day!

Rambeling Tammy

Comment

Working...
          X