Villiers Clutch check adjustments for sweet operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villiers Clutch check adjustments for sweet operation

Hi there seams to be a lot of stuff on the Facebook page about adjusting E and A series Villiers clutches,( I couldn't add a PDF file there) so here's an article from Motorcycle dated April 1964 which should answer all the questions, the real key to the problem is the shims fitted under the cap (they are like piston rings) these actually adjust the preload on the clutch springs, new plates require a thick shim and worn plates may require no shims, if you put new plates in without any shims you end up with a heavy clutch, as the plates wear the clutch may slip, this can be remedied by removing shims.
    With this in mind you can add or remove springs and end up with a clutch that is light and still grips, I hope this helps. Cheers Pete from the Antipodes​
    Attached Files

Funny. Both John W and I answered this post but all messages have vanished?
    Anyway I had new clutch plates, no shims and the extra Competition Springs. I have the extended clutch arm from a bond car from memory sourced from Villiers Spares.
    Also a bracket fixed to the rear engine plate.
    Clutch lever not to heavy, as the lever is moved in so two fingers can be used on the very end.

whitehillbilly
    Attached Files
    Last edited by whitehillbillies; 16/07/2023, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Hi Shane, I tried to reload larger images but was locked out, so I followed John's suggestion and reloaded it. Cheers Pete

Comment

Originally posted by whitehillbillies View Post
        Funny. Both John W and I answered this post but all messages have vanished?

whitehillbilly
        Something in there got identified by the system as 'spam' so was automatically blocked

Comment

Thanks Andy.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Just bumping this thread.....thought it might be useful for Tim (Veg) following his recent posts and it has a couple of handy extra pics from WH as well.

Hope it helps,

Brian.

Comment

Thanks Brian so it’s a bond car. Invacar rather than a DB5 I assume

Comment

Originally posted by Veg View Post
                Thanks Brian so it’s a bond car. Invacar rather than a DB5 I assume
                Ha!

Yes, I believe so Tim, although that doesn't explain why all the Greeves Model codes start with 'M'.......or why all the villains have 'evil clutches'.....)

(I haven't signed the 'official secretions' act so I can neither confirm nor deny....!)

Brian.​

Comment

brilliant !

Comment

Speaking of useful, old, out of print Villiers articles, make sure you check this one out as well Tim.......

Ignore the one in the second pic though, it's obviously a fake.....the Bond isn't original......!

Brian.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VTUSCB1.png
Views:	110
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	97589 Click image for larger version

Name:	VTUDCJB1.png
Views:	103
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	97590

Comment

Working...