4-stroke in a Scottish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-stroke in a Scottish?

At risk of upsetting people I have to say that I’m really not enjoying the Scottish I was given last year. I know, ungrateful or what. The Villiers 32a’s sound and feel just grate on me, the gearbox feels nasty and it’s just not a pleasant experience to ride.

I know I should be using it for trials, but I’m never going to. A nice little run around local country roads is all I’m asking of it, and I’ve fitted a smaller rear sprocket so it’ll go over 40 without sounding like it’s about to explode.

So my question hopefully requires a fairly simple answer, how realistic is it to fit a 4-stroke engine and compatible gearbox into a Scottish? What might fit?

In an ideal world I’d like the gear lever and foot brake the right way round (oh no, that’s done it, now they really hate me) but that’s not essential. And if it could reasonably reliably take me 20 miles or so without conking out, that would be a bonus.

I’m just asking to establish my options, whether I can keep the bike by making it usable or if I have to tell the wife’s uncle I no longer want his lovely old machine. It makes me feel sad just typing it.

Jon

Hi Jon. It might be that you're not enjoying your Scottish if the gearbox internals are a wide-ratio trials set. Perhaps a change to a road-going gearbox might be the answer? Or you might consider fitting a Villiers twin for a smoother response from the engine? Otherwise, for a change to 4-stroke, to stay British, others of like mind to yourself have fitted (say) a BSA C15 unit, which goes (more or less) straight in with modified engine mountings of course. Footbrake and gearchange would be on the "right" side still, and I don't know that chain-line would be a problem either. Dave Higgins is a good source of advice on this option. Alternatively, for example, the Honda has donated an alternative power unit, I know, but that might really upset the purists (only jokin'?). There are several other options, for example you could really go to town and upgrade to Grumph specification and have a whole lot more cc's at your disposal. Phil Hyde can guide you on fitting the Triumph unit.
    Or you could just sell on the Scottish, unmolested, and put the proceeds to a ready-made up and running four-stroke, perhaps?
    Good luck whichever way you go, and please continue to keep in touch anyway.
    John R
    Last edited by johnrunnacles; 10/05/2022, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I have just done 300 miles touring with the VMCC on a 32A 24DF police Greeves, no breakdowns, no problems, it's just what you are used to, if you ride four stroke moderns then a Villiers will be difficult to live with.
      Attached Files

Comment

Jon, I really think you have the wrong bike, you say you are not going to use it for trials, so you may be better off with a road bike. Maybe trade the Scottish in for a Sports Twin 25DB or DC, but again they have two stroke engines, but maybe a bit smoother that a single and with the correct road gearing. If you really want to go four stroke what about a Tri Greeves these regularly come up on ebay etc. Dont go butchering your Scottish as after fitting a fourstroke engine it may still not be to your liking, and you may well devalue it. As John Pattinson so rightly says if you ride, and are used to modern 4 strokes, a Villiers engine will be difficult to live with.
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 10/05/2022, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks chaps. I guess that’s what I expected to hear, I just needed to hear it.

I’m not sure my 40yr old BMW flat twin quite qualifies as a modern 4-stroke but I suppose by comparison it’s practically science fiction.

I think I’ll probably have to speak to the wife’s uncle and see what he wants me to do - I feel more like the caretaker of the bike than its owner. I really wanted to like it, what with it being built a mile or so from my childhood home and a true British classic, and I feel really bad that I just don’t.

Is everyone on here called John?

Jon

Comment

........... or Jon?

Comment

Nice bike Mr Pattinson

Comment

I can't get the thought of a flat-twin, shafty in a Greeves frame out of my mind.....

Comment

Now that would be a thing! The airhead rocks noticeably to the side on every throttle blip - in the Greeves frame that 1000cc flat twin would make the whole bike do a sideways somersault.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                    I can't get the thought of a flat-twin, shafty in a Greeves frame out of my mind.....
                    An LE-engined Scottish, Brian? It may be a bit tricky getting the drive shaft up through the swinging arm.....

Comment

Working...
                    X