Interesting 2T problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No score

in the bore. I didn't think to measure it, nor to look too closely at the top of the piston, and now it is up and running so well I think I'll leave it alone until the really bad weather comes. Once it's off the road for the winter, I'll take another look at things.

Thanks for all the help, and the useful comments.

Frank

Comment

Decided to set the timing on my 2T engine today, and like others here found the RH cylinder spot on but the LH way too far advanced (about 3/8 BTDC instead of 3/16) and no adjustment left on the points plate. Both pistons came up to same height at TDC so crank is obviously misaligned (surprising since engine had a full rebuild at Villiers Services not long ago, done by previous owner)
      Lots of filing of the adjustment slot in the LH points support plate, and cutting the end short allowed enough rotation to just get the timing into spec ,and a longer clamp plate had to be made to clamp the lower ends, but the bike certainly goes better now.
      Bit of a pain but easier than an engine strip to correct the crank and I don't think it will affect performance, after all some modern bikes run all sorts of crank angles on twins with no problem.
      Hoping this may be helpful, or draw some comments.

Comment

This problem has arisen before, mainly with Pete Savage's conversions where the points are not individually adjustable for timing. Looks like some of todays engine rebuilders are not as carefull as they should be. This sort of thing never happened back in the old days with genuine Villiers Engineering exchange units

Comment

Working...
        X