9E (197) vs 'A' (247) Production.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9E (197) vs 'A' (247) Production.

Hi, Firstly I must apologise for not having the EXACT number of units produced at Marston Lane, but this is just a quick comment arising from a John Wakefield comment about the 'glut of 20TA's on the market' at the moment.
    The reason that there are/were so many 197 engines & cylinders around dates back to the Tax classes that were still in force when I started riding, where under 200 cc machines paid less Road tax. Thus Ariel produced the 200cc Leader and Triumph the 200cc Cub. The 'unit' E series (and the C and L types) arose in about 1955. A versatile unit, most manufacturers used the 9E engine, including the light car market. The 31A engine appeared in the Bond mini-car, and soon found it's way into motorcycles, I believe, following the 250cc barrier imposed upon Learners in the late 1950's. (Again, sorry for no exact date). By the time that the 250cc market was booming, Viliers and many of the users, (James, Excelsior, Ambassador, F-B, etc) were closing down. Even Greeves, after using the E and A range since 1957 were looking at their own engines. The Kart brigade took up the 197 in big numbers and even produced their own casings, etc,. You may occasionally find a casing with 'Upton' on it...that's a Kart item.
    Another area was that of industrial use. any 200cc engines were fitted to various applications. I've seen HUGE hedge trimmers, drain rod 'twirlers' and saws, all intended to be hand operated with a 9E based motor on the one end. (Not so daft, this was the 50's, look at today's strimmers).

So, that's why so many 197cc barrels exist. I'm sorry if I'm telling you what you already know, but it may be handy for those new to Villiers based engines. I expect the new Walker & Carrick book "VILLIERS - Everybody's engine" will go into greater production detail.

ISBN 978 0 9555278 4 5. Redline Books £29.95 UK only.
    www.redlinebooks.co.uk or 0191 230 4414

As ever, hope this helps.........Peter R.

Taxation classes

The reason that there are/were so many 197 engines & cylinders around dates back to the Tax classes that were still in force when I started riding,
    Not sure Peter you are exactly right on this, as far as I know the UK taxation classes for solo motorcycles have from the 1950's been. up to 150cc; 151 to 250cc; 251cc to unlimited. I think the 200cc limit was to do with insurance, I may be wrong. Ariel produced a 200cc Arrow but the Leader was always 250cc.

Comment

Working...
    X