Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawkstone Carb

Hi

Does anyone know what is the best carb for my Hawkstone 1960 MCS Iron Barrel model? Its got a MK1 Amal Concentric on it at the moment but a friend thinks an Amal Monobloc carb might be better. Any suggestions let me know.

Thanks

Amal carb

The correct carb would be the Monobloc 389 1 3/16 bore
    480 main jet
    30 pilot jet
    Slide No3
    Needle .106 position 4 or 5
    These setting would have been presumably with open meggaphone exhaust so may need fine tuning for silenced exhaust. As the Concentric is basically a monobloc with concentric float chamber I would think performance would be the same, as would be jetting.

Comment

I would stick with the concentric carb if you are planning on racing the Hawkstone. The Monobloc flooded on slow right hand corners and would not clear unless you leant the bike over to the left.

I believe Amal recognised that the concentric float chamber was the better design for two-strokes but didn't want their new Monobloc to look like the Villiers carb.
      John A - 268

Comment

The Monobloc used a champhered spray tube & a 106T needle jet ( had a bleed hole drilled in the side ) .

A Concentric normally runs on an approx. 20% smaller mainjet than a Monobloc .

Chris

Comment

Working...
        X