Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Puch Fanatics

Hi all,

I am putting some instructions on which are relevant to ignition timing on the Puch 175, these are taken from the Puch workshop manual I have.

If you have difficulty in reading them try downloading them to your PC so you can magnify the image, or better still use magnifier that is available when you click on the chosen image.

Mike.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MikeV; 07/03/2015, 12:35 PM.

Scanning tips etc.

Hi Mike,

Lovely job, and many thanks for posting these. I'm sure many members will appreciate it.

May I offer a small tip as well? Next time you're doing some scanning, have a play around with the 'edit' feature(s) which should be on your toolbar somewhere. Most scanner incorporate these features and they can be a boon when dealing with the sometimes poor quality images we have to work with, especially with old bike literature. You can often play around with brightness/contrast/sharpness etc, and can really make the best of what's there.

I find the above images more than acceptable to view on my system, and clear as a bell. However, one tip I'd share is to 'crop' or 'trim' the image as much as you can. This saves on file size, and more importantly automatically maximises the image enlargement as it 'fits it to the screen', so to speak. I've applied this to your first image following downloading it to give you the idea, (see attached) and have applied no other enhancements. It can often make a world of difference, especially with feint type etc. Bear in mind that 'my' image (pic 1) has inevitably downgraded slighty as it's a copy, so the type appears a little feinter on my upload. As such, I applied a few adjustments to brightness and contrast to my downloaded image and have attached the resulting image in pic 2, just as an example. You get better results when you apply any adjustments at the scanning stage though, prior to 'saving' the image. As always, it's a balancing act between the various factors of course, but it's well worth having a play around.

Anyway, PM me if I can help in any way with this sort of thing. I'm no expert but I've done a fair bit of scanning in my time with the forum.... Whatever, do keep up the good work Mike, and thanks again.

Brian.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 07/03/2015, 01:42 PM. Reason: Pic attached.

Comment

Scanning

Thanks for the tips Brian.
      The problem is that the original picture/text is only 1/2 A4 size and even playing around with the printer settings I could not tell what the outcome would be until I had uploaded them.I'll do some more work on that side of things for the future.

Mike.

Comment

Scanning etc.

Hi Mike,

Yes indeed, sometimes trial and error is the only way isn't it. I certainly have to do my fair share of that as well, considering the poor quality of some of the images we have to work with, and it can be very time consuming trying to get a decent result to upload sometimes....

Cracking info Mike, regardless, and thanks again for your efforts.

Keep up the good work!

Brian.
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 07/03/2015, 04:37 PM. Reason: Spelling....

Comment

Pathfinder Info'

Hi Brian,

That's what being a member is all about, Is'nt it?

Mike.

Comment

It's good to share!

Hi Mike,

Yes indeed, but then you're 'preaching to the converted' there mate.....

My approach is to just keep throwing it at the wall.....some of it is bound to stick......eventually......

Brian.

Comment

I have done a great deal of scanning over the last few days, so I thought I might add a few comments.
              I have 2 scanner/printers that I use for simple scanning etc., but have noticed that my cheapest HP scanner will work best with the programme on my computer. It seems to be the only one that allows me to choose the scanned area of a document, whereas my more expensive Kodak machine does not.
              I have a choice of scanning in Black and White, Greyscale or Colour. For discoloured documents, I normally use B+W, but that can depend on any illustration on that document. If I choose to use Greyscale, I can clean the discolouration using Photoshop. If in doubt, I will use both methods and choose the best result.
              If anyone else wants copies of the ISDT programmes for 1961,65,66,67,68,69,70,71 and 1972, I can supply......

Comment

Good job there Mike.

Regards,
                David.

Comment

Working...
                X