Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• villiers 37A ignition coil ac or dc?

Hi all!
    Please Bear with me guys...my grasp on electrics is NOT shocking!

Ok...first, I noticed Grizzy's (Wessex) headlight has been dull, not near as bright as when the bulb is directly hooked to a 6V battery. It is not Miller or Lucas, it's NOS bates 6 volt. We tested, with a digital volt meter, the plugs on the case for the rear running and brake light and the headlight...was shocked they are in AC.
    When we first wired the running tail light in rear we blew every 6 volt bulb I put in, then on a fluke I tried a 12 volt, not been an issue since. The larger plug or rear (closest plug to the rear of the bike) actually puts out quite a bit more volts. I am thinking my headlight is most likely a DC headlight and is why it is dim.
    Would a rectifier installed in the headlight help, and would it also require a regulator? Or, would it be easier to switch to an AC headlight? Maybe try a 12 Volt??

2nd...On the Trails, she has nametab ignition. I got a toggle Magura kill switch, installed via nametabs diagram...worked great...switch either up or down for run and in middle for stop...backwards. However, once I mounted the switch NO spark, switch removed..No spark. I think my soldered out of the way ground wire inside the switch made contact. The ohms on the nametab, via the volt meter way off, however thinking meter does not read high enough.
    On this I am going back to points and Villiers coil etc, have all that on hand. I also have a nice 6 volt h/t coil from a triumph I was going to use..then I noticed it says 6 Volt DC coil???

Is a Villiers coil ac or dc?

Also, got a brake light switch...anything I should pay close attention to?

I thought it was a matter of 6 volt or 12 volt

Thanks guys!!
    Rambling Tammy

The lighting is AC from the generator, it only becomes DC if rectified. The DC system is usually only used on the road bikes.
    The Trials bikes using the 32/37A engine had the two pin plug you mention.
    Both pins are live AC, earth is via engine casing. The large pin serves the head light, rear light, & speedo, bulbs are 6v (24/24watt headlight) (3watt rear) (1.8watt speedo if fitted)
    The small pin is for stop light (if fitted) & the bulb is 18w
    With original coils this system should work ok athough it was not unknown for bulbs to blow, especially if the dip switch was not a make before break type.
    It is not possible to convert the Villiers sytem to 12volt but I am sure (at vast expense) you could fit an after market 12volt system such as Electrex World.
    It may be possible to fit a voltage regulator to 6v direct system, Paul Goff would be the man to ask.
    The Villiers coil is AC
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 09/07/2013, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Find Paul Goff at http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/

Comment

Thanks guys...youre the best!

Comment

Working...
        X