Main Oil Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main Oil Seal

Hi, attempting to fit the main seal on the primary side, of my 32A motor, I have just buggered up a third new seal.
    Is the size 1,000/1.625/0.25 the correct seal size????
    I used a large socket gently tapping to get it started, but ended kinking all 3 new ones. It seemed to keep rocking, as if the hole was slightly oval. one seal started but showed signs of rubber ' pealing up, as I tapped it in. Took it out. Maybe this was normal. I may be able to reused ????
    I might be able to get the use of a press. Would This be better????
    Any ideas please.

Must of fluked this seal last time I did the rebuilt.

whitehillbillies

32A LH crank seal

This is the correct one from Villiers Services http://villiersservices.co.uk/index....products_id=99
    No size given but I thought these were metric size not imperial, looks like you have wrong size as it should not need that amout of force to press it in.

Comment

I'll go and get one and measure it. Also, just use a vice and squeeze it in gently using suitable mandrels. They tend to be a bit tight but I have managed to destroy one yet!

Comment

Hi Rob, thanks for that.
        Measuring the casing, 40mm seems to loose. 41mm would be to tight.
        just noticed in my little record book, I have RH seal of 22/35/7mm measurement. Primary case seal as 1.250/0.750/0.250.
        LH 1.000/1.6250/0.240.
        All bearings are in MM.
        The original seals would have come from Villier Services, 20 odd years ago, with over the shelf seals being used since. Just that mix of Metric/Imperial
        Seal no's ( AU )
        TC12033
        TC12020
        TC12447
        Could have had the motor back together this weekend.

whitehillbillies
        Last edited by whitehillbillies; 02/03/2013, 10:31 PM.

Comment

I can confirm that the size is 1.625 x 1.00 x 0.312 OR 0.375 inches so looks as though yours is a bit ion the thin side.

Comment

Yes a bit thin, but its over the counter seal, and double lipped, and it did many miles on the road, without any problems.
            Just spoke to an old mate and he said a unf bolt and two large washers should pull it in square.

whitehillbillies

Comment

Working...
            X