Villiers Lighting Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villiers Lighting Coils

Hi, is it possible to cross the polartiy of the two lighting coils. Can I check the coils in any way ????
    Have no trouble with the brake light coil. 6v brake light. The two opposing lighting coils, work ok by them self, but when both are wired together I get nothing.
    If one went A to B pole for instance and I got 6v, then could the other go B to A pole giving me 6v ???? then joined conflict each other.
    Is what I suggest possible ????
    I ran a 7.2v Makita cordless battery, hidden in the tool box to get me through Australian rego, but it only gave me 15 mins of light, before running out, when it started to get dark, during the winter months, Infact I only put the lights on, when a car came the other direction, riding with my foot on the brake to give me a back light.
    If I get it registered this year I want to sort out the head light problem.
    Can anyone help, or as John suggested do I need to become a member, once again.

whitehillbilly

Lighting Coils

You need to wire them in parallel this give 6volt at double amperage. Trouble is if you wire both together through a rectifier to battery you will over charge it without lights on. Not too sure of how the wiring went on 9E/32A engined bikes with lights but I think one coil supplied head & tail lights direct, & the stop light coil was used to charge the battery via rectifier. Sorry cant help further
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 23/10/2012, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Sorry John, I was a bit unclear, I have a 1960 24TCS scottish, so no battery or rectifier. I have a direct lighting wiring diagram.
      OK, without diagram, rotation of flywheel clockwise, lighting coils, A to B pole say. Earth of coil, attached to A pole on one coil. Earth must attach to A pole on second coil, to give 6v ???? make sense ????
      Maybe I have them wired in series ???? but would that not give me 12v ???? interested on your thoughts on the sprocket for road gearing post.

whitehillbilly
      Last edited by whitehillbillies; 23/10/2012, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Here is a link to the wiring diagramme for the direct lighting http://www.isdm.co.uk/VI62/_vsj61.asp?ID=AGW32d looks like there are three lighting coils
        Sorry cant help re gearing but I am sure someone will know. As a guide the gearing for road use should be about the same as a 24DC
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 23/10/2012, 03:34 PM. Reason: wiring diagram link added

Comment

Hi John, thanks for your comments, the diagram looks the same as the one I used to make up my wiring loom, with the single small plug being used for the brake light, and the large one, with the two coils for the lights, but there must be something in the way I have put the two lighting coils together.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Sounds like you may need to reverse one of the coils. Given that AC is produced, surely if one coil is producing a negative-going half-cycle and the other a positive, they will cancel each other out?

Regarding gearing for the road, the period ISDT bike test featured in the latest Leading Link had a top gear of 7.75:1. This can be achieved with 15T gearbox sprocket and 54T rear wheel, assuming engine remains standard at 20T.

43x54 / 20 x 15 = 7.74

This is what I am going to begin with on my ISDT-type special.

Rob

Comment

coils

Hi it would be nice to see the wiring diagramme for 12V three phasing the stator. .

with your 32A coils could be in wrong place on stator? just a thought ?

Comment

Hi Rob, was running std primary, 15/55,when I had the Scottish road registered, for a few years, but it just seemed to low. if I threw in 18/55 it would equal 15/46 ???? In my listing in a Villiers book I have, they list 14 to 20gearbox sprocket, in a 428 chain
                Thanks

Shane

Comment

If we look at the picture John supplied,with the flywheel rotating clockwise, and I know its only a diagram, but the bottom coil, the brake light coil, has its earth on the left, of the coil.
                  The lighting coil on the right has its earth in the left, of the coil,but
                  the other lighting coil on the left, has its earth on the right, of the coil.
                  so with the flywheel rotating, it would go,
                  + - first lighting coil on right.
                  + - brake light coil.
                  - + lighting coil on left.
                  I wrote it and it sounds confusing !!!!! but see how the two lighting coils may conflict each other ????

whitehillbillies

Comment

Villiers lighting coils

Hi Shane, I had very dull lights on my James Captain which has an 8E motor and therefore only two lighting coils and runs direct lighting.
                    I tried to measure the output voltage with a digital multimeter, this gave very erratic readings.
                    I was disscusing the problem with a friends dad and he said that you needed an analouge (moving coil) voltmeter and he would bring one to the next ride day.
                    We measured the output with his meter, the coils wired in parallel, it was 5.75 volts, his suggestion was to try 12 volt globes, my comment was that it will only make things worse.
                    I then fitted a 12 volt 35 watt single filament headlight globe and a 12 volt 5/25 watt stop/tail, the 25 watt stop is powered by dry cell battery.
                    Bingo bright lights, not up to modern standards, but certainly good enough to get you home if you get caught in the dark and perfect for day time riding.
                    I have done about 1500 miles using the 12volt globes and no problems as yet
                    Cheers Pete.

Comment

Thanks for you comments Pete. I am going to ride a few trials this year the lights will not be an issue.

whitehillbillies

Comment

These direct lighting systems worked well enough when the bikes were new but over the years things may have changed, many trials riders removed the lighting coils to save weight & later someone may have refitted incorrect ones. If the dip switch was not a make before break type the rear light bulb would blow due to excessive voltage. I would forget about lights from coils & fit some LED cycle ones which you can take off easily when you go off road.
                        As I note the link to the diagram I posted for the 32A direct lighting has broken here it is again
                        Last edited by John Wakefield; 21/01/2013, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X