Villiers into Challenger frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villiers into Challenger frame

Hi , I have started to look at fitting a 32A Villiers into my Challenger frame. Can anyone help with the angle which the engine should fit in the frame. Also can anyone help with the distance between the centre of front sprocket and say the swingarm pivot point ?

Can't help , don't think it has ever been done before , you are far better off looking for a Challenger engine .

Chris

Comment

32A into Challenger

Given a correct set of engine plates it should fit, the angle of the engine needs to be about the same as in any other Greeves (or other bike) with a
      32A to keep the oil levels in gearbox & primary chain correct. The final drive sprocket needs to be as near to the swinging arm as possible & on the same level so as not to give too much difference in chain tension. Best to make up some dummy engine plates out of plywood to get it aligned before you cut metal. I once fitted a 32A into a Bultaco Sherpa frame to make a green laner & it worked ok. You dont say what you intend to use the bike for ie scrambler or green laner/roadster. If a scrambler you might want to consider something a bit more modern & more poke, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki etc. unless you have a 32A available with somthing like a Challenger top end.
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 15/08/2012, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bertie View Post
        Hi , I have started to look at fitting a 32A Villiers into my Challenger frame. Can anyone help with the angle which the engine should fit in the frame. Also can anyone help with the distance between the centre of front sprocket and say the swingarm pivot point ?
        Trade that Villiers for a Challenger motor Bertie. Won't be worth the extra work, time and money to do. You'll be much happier in the long run... Your Greeves will be worth a little bit more in value as well. There is a Challenger motor out there somewhere just waiting for a home. It's an MX4 right???

Kenny Sykes

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. I have looked for about 2 years for a challenger motor but only came across one for £800. I wish to use bike for green laning and road use so I'm going ahead with the 32a I have picked up and yes I am going to make my own engine plates. The front sprocket is quite close to the swinging arm on the footpeg bracket which came with bike so it looks OK as a start. Here goes.....fabrication has started.

Comment

The 32A should be fine for the use you intend, a Challenger engine would certainly not be suitable for green lane/road use & it would not have lighting coils which the 32A should have unless someone has removed them. Also the gears will be more suitable for road work especially if its from a road bike. Again the Challenger gears would be to close, & it would be revving its nuts off on the road. Try not to hack the frame about as if at some future date you or a subsequent owner wants to refit a Challenger motor it wont be a problem

Comment

Stick a Triumph lump in it! You know you want to!
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Triumph in a Challenger

Well said Colin

A proven conversion

Comment

Give me the cash to stick a Triumph engine in ! I also ride a triumph and it would have been my first choice if my bank balance could stand, which it cannot - all my spare cash goes on my Grandson.

Comment

Nothing wrong, in building the best you can, with what you have to hand bertie...

Comment

Challenger on the road

Latest update. Villiers is in bike, has an alpha full circle crank and electronic ignition. Black tank, aluminium mudguards, green frame, lights and is now mot'd and on the road. Thinking of selling though to fund other projects.

Comment

Originally posted by bertie View Post
                        Latest update. Villiers is in bike, has an alpha full circle crank and electronic ignition. Black tank, aluminium mudguards, green frame, lights and is now mot'd and on the road. Thinking of selling though to fund other projects.
                        Can you post a pic, you can do so via a photo hosting site like photo bucket even though you are a Basic member.

Comment

Working...
                        X