32A Barrel Studs-Thread size????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32A Barrel Studs-Thread size????

Hi, what is the two thread sizes and length of the 4, 32A barrel studs.
    thanks for your time.

whitehillbillies

Hi, Best to make up your own! The most important thread size is 5/16 BSW going into crankcase. The original studs were/are to short only about 1/2" long into the stud hole. Re-tap the holes with a taper then a bottoming/plug tap, you should achieve about a 3/4"/7/8" in depth! Make up studs to suit, the outside thread can be imp or metric which ever is at hand, use a good quality bar/stud etc.
    Finally glue the stud into the c/case again use good quality Loctite,

Best Regards Willie
    Last edited by 340villiers; 30/04/2012, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Hi Willie, thanks for your prompt reply
      the alpha crank that I will replace, has the short rod, the rebuilt bob weight origional one has a quarter inch longer con rod.
      The 32A barrel had quarter inch shaved off the bottom to add to a 9E to upgrading it to 250cc, I suspect as I had trouble with piston nipping up. I looked into it and found out the based had'nt been machined, square to the bore. An older retired engineer, squared it up with a home made jig and the problem was solved.
      An alloy plate had been made up, to take up the 1/4 inch between the two rods, so the studs were longer, but a year or so ago when restoring my TED20Grey Fergie, I think I used the studs to get the fergie finished, and running,as the threads on the barrel studs were the same.
      a 5/16 unc nut runs up the stud so I thought that was the size.
      thanks for your time

whitehillbillies

Comment

Hi, 5/16 Whitworth and 5/16 Unc are both 18 tpi. Mix matching may result in the bolt/nut tightening up but you should be ok. Unc is the modern equivalent of BSW/Whitworth, they differ in the thread angle 55 degress opposed to 60.

Regards Willie.

Comment

I was thinking of 5/16 unc the bottom end with 5/16 unf the top.
          would this tighten down well enough????
          I have got a high tensile 5/16 unf threaded bolt which I was going to cut and add a 5/16 unc the other,with the stud as you sugested lengthened into the crankcase.
          thanks for your imput

whitehillbillies

Comment

Working...
          X