Identity crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identity crisis

I've just bought this frame off eBay Item number: 200675247687 with the intention of registering it for road use, and classic scrambling. The closest Ican get to identifying it after hours of comparing photographs is an MD. Can anybody help please, as I want to stamp the frame up with the correct prefix. I have also acquired 2 rebuilt villiers engines, a 2t & a 4t. The problem I have is deciding which to fit, the 2 is on 15th o/s, the 4 is 60th. Any thoughts please?
    Cheers, Col.

eBay frame

Firstly the frame number (lack of it) it is illegal to re stamp the frame with a number from another bike, if you are just going to use it off road the frame number is not important., but if as you say you wish to register it for the road you have problems. You would need to consult the DVLA on the matter & they may issue you with a number or you stamp your own number made up say of your initials and date or some such configeration. But you do need to seek some official advice on this. You would also probably end up with a Q plate & have to pay road tax.
    As for engines, neither the 2T or 4T are suitable for scrambling and you really need a 250 single (34A - 37A) for that use. However if you are not bothered about winning, either the 2T or 4T would be ok although I personally would go for the 4T which give a a bit more power 17bhp as against 15 for the 2T.
    My personal recomendation is to sell the frame on again & seek a more suitable bike.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 08/12/2011, 02:50 PM. Reason: amended wording, ebay link added

Comment

Tis not a road frame , rear half is TDS , as are the engine plates .

Note the angled bolt mount on the engine plates for the prop stand , the chain oiler in the swinging arm and the bracket for the chainguide on the swinging arm .

The front beam may be TDS but it looks like there is soething wrong with the rear frame to beam mount , two holes in the beam and only one in the sub frame .

Could make a good greenlaner but not with a twin engine .

Chris

Comment

A nice, bright interpretation of Moorland Blue. Must have been a bit short of Black that day.

Comment

Working...
        X