6volt coil test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6volt coil test?

hi i am a new member,i have a 1959greeves scottish 250,i am having trouble with one day in have a spark next day it starts then stops{no spark}is there anywhere i can get info or diagrams for the wireing or how to test both coils/electrics{must be kept simple}many thanks rob

Hi; At the risk of the blindingly obvious, have you tried different spark plugs? Even with everything otherwise OK, a duff plug (new OR old) can cause frustration! Then in no particular order (but check each thing ONE at a time!): ALL wiring; flywheel magnetism; 'source' coil - is the wiring chafed through?; actual ignition coil (mine's bolted to the frame under the tank, along with the condenser, appropriately wired up); HT lead; condenser; plug cap; contact breaker points. All this assumes that you have some variation of 'traditional' style ignition setup. If you've gone over to the dark side and have fitted a modern black box, then you're on your own! (Sorry!)

These comments come from experience with my '58 model Scottish, with 9E/32A type engine. For expert help call Steve at Villiers Services. He can check your magnetism and coil performance and is very helpful. A top bloke.

I hope this is useful.

Comment

no spark

thanks andy,the only trouble is i dont know how to test the coil etc.i have a cheap multi meter,have you any easey way for me to test the ign coil and ht coil many thanks rob

Comment

Coil testing

This Youtube clip shows how to test an ignition coil. OK its a car coil but same principal applies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJYJ3KvPhhY

Comment

coil test

many thanks john,watched several videos on you tube,greeves up and running ,changed condensor,many thanks teaching old dog new tricks rob

Comment

Working...
          X