X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawkstone Gearbox

hi there,

need some help please.
    im trying to get the gearbox on a mate of mine's hawkstone to select correctly.

is this defiantly 1 up for 1st & 3 down ? this is how it seems to me.

the only single neutral i can find is between 3rd & 4th

when i line the marks up on the quadrant & selector drum i get more than 1 neutral

unless the selector drum has been apart i cant see it being at fault, as the forks look the same to me

the geared quadrant has some sort of mechanism with 2 teeth/ramps behind it, these teeth/ramps can go in 2 positions, i don't want to dismantle it if it's not likely to be at fault.

any help would be most welcome

regards

david

Hi DAvid - Box is definately one up and 3 down...............same on my MDS...... and I can get a netral between 3rd and 4th if not careful.......................That is unfortunately extent of my knowledge.
    Cheers Kim

Comment

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
      Hi DAvid - Box is definately one up and 3 down...............same on my MDS...... and I can get a netral between 3rd and 4th if not careful.......................That is unfortunately extent of my knowledge.
      Cheers Kim
      hi Kim,

thanks for that matey

regards

David

Comment

Boxes

There are two types of boxes one is quick change mcs/mds slow change is earlier type could it be a mix of the two types ?

Comment

Originally posted by greeves246 View Post
          There are two types of boxes one is quick change mcs/mds slow change is earlier type could it be a mix of the two types ?
          two types ???

have you any ideas how i could tell please ?

many thanks

david

Comment

villiers manual

villiers manual for 32a or if you have the plate behind the gear on the gear lever shaft in the wrong place that will give you funny netrals

Comment

Originally posted by greeves246 View Post
              villiers manual for 32a or if you have the plate behind the gear on the gear lever shaft in the wrong place that will give you funny netrals
              thank you for that.

im thinking the toothed quadrant is on the shaft in the wrong place or is on back to front

cheers

Comment

Hi mudmonkey, now this is from memory so don`t hold me to it, but on the early box, which it sounds like you have got, there 2 dot marks.
                One on the quadrant & one on the gear of the selector shaft, these are supposed to be in line, from memory, i think the dot mark on the cam barrel is hard to see, i think i used a mirror.
                Its basically a rachet that every time you move the gear lever, it moves one position on the selector mechanism & then the gear lever returns to its origanal position, but the selector forks stays where they are.
                Each time moving the selector mechanism further round or visa versa.
                Its hard to explain, but its quite a basic design once you are on top of it.
                You can recognise the dot mark, i think its about the third tooth from the top on the quadrant.
                One other point is that if looking at the g/box casing from the out side, if you can see a large nut, ( about 24mm ) just below the kick start, then that is the early positive stop g/box, hope this helps, but been a few years since i touched one. dave. just found a diagram of the selector marks.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by dave higgins; 07/06/2011, 08:37 PM.

Comment

It is actually easier to time the box in first gear .

Move the selector fork nearest the end of the cam barrel flush with the end nearest the change pinion .

put the gear lever on the quadrant shaft & keep moving the lever upwards until the quadrant will go no further , this is first gear , fit all the gears to the shafts & then the cam barrel , place in gearbox endcover & the box is timed in first gear .

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by riflegreen View Post

Move the selector fork nearest the end of the cam barrel flush with the end nearest the change pinion .

put the gear lever on the quadrant shaft & keep moving the lever upwards until the quadrant will go no further , this is first gear , fit all the gears to the shafts & then the cam barrel , place in gearbox endcover & the box is timed in first gear .

Chris
                    Hi Chris,

You nailed it right on! Could not of said it better!

Kenny

Comment

Better than the Villiers factory manual!

Originally posted by riflegreen View Post

Chris
                      Nice one Chris, clear and concise as ever. Thanks for posting mate.

Brian (the Emu farmer!)

Comment

agree more

yes chris right !

the two types of box 1st box has a pin 1/2 inch diameter with half of it machined away cast in the cover the other has a 3/8 pin cast in the cover
                        and the shaft has a casting on with two pincers that engauge with teeth on the rim
                        slow change box

Comment

Working...
                        X