24 te exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 te exhaust

Hi relative newbie here, I am in the process of a complete rebuild of a 24TE which has been used as a "farm bike" for the last 20 years or so. My aim is to use it for some mild green lane riding. My question relates to the exhaust which is of the low level style. Was this exhaust there primarily for noise reduction, as it seems it has very little resemblance to an expansion chamber! There are two large washers welded inside the the chamber which have a hole in the center just large enough for the tailpipe to enter and then a couple of holes in the tailpipe before the baffle in the end of the system? Is this right? Any help would be appreciated.

Some pics of the bike would be useful to see what sort of exhaust you have fitted.

Comment

Hi, yes, sorry. Here is a photo of my exhaust, sorry its not on the bike, it runs down the right side of he bike just above the crankcase. The tailpipe is on the bench just below with the baffle which fits in the end. Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	514.1 KB
ID:	98270

Comment

Your tail pipe has the baffle part missing probably corroded over the years

Comment

That is the correct exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty546 View Post
            Hi, yes, sorry. Here is a photo of my exhaust, sorry its not on the bike, it runs down the right side of he bike just above the crankcase. The tailpipe is on the bench just below with the baffle which fits in the end. Click image for larger version  Name:	exhaust.jpg Views:	0 Size:	514.1 KB ID:	98270
            Its the original exhaust which are very rare and sort after now, as Gary says baffle is missing but as the silencer is a cut down version of the standard Villiers silencer it should be possible to fit a modified baffle tube from one of these, There is one on ebay right now https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296266863143?itmmeta=01HR6WXHZQVJ48V46TVXDK6C6S&ha sh=item44fae19227:g:m~gAAOSwPepl5IN4

Comment

Thanks guys, that's grand, looking at the link John put up I can see how with the longer baffle tube it would Work as a silencer. I shall try to procure it but if not then I'm sure I could make one. I am still surprised that the silencer has two large discs with holes large enough for the baffle tube to go through about 1/3 and 2/3 up the large diameter as these would negate any benefit from the expansion chamber....or am I barking up the wrong tree here!!?
              Last edited by Rusty546; 05/03/2024, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Don't think it was ever intended to act as an expansion chamber back in the day, Rusty, just as a silencer (?) Stand to be corrected by the trials experts on here, of course!

Comment

Yes just a silencer, expansion chambers not fitted to trials bikes

Comment

Have found an article extracted a while back from Leading Link newsletter which may help you, Rusty. Will try to copy over .......... Sent to you in a Private Message.
                    Last edited by johnrunnacles; 05/03/2024, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys, that's all been very helpful. At least I know what to do now!

Comment

Hi Rusty, I did a complete rebuild on a 24TE during the lockdown. Engine, gearbox and cycle parts including a respray. Very satisfying few months. I had the same issue with the exhaust. I concluded that the silencer technology was pretty basic at the time and not at the front of the designer's mind. Pretty well all other issues are not too bad to resolve during your rebuild. Comments here about the exhaust are correct, no one makes them any more. Hope you enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
                        X