Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oils??

Evening all,

What’s the best/recommended oil for all the relevant parts for my 24mx1 challenger, has the later kidney gearbox fitted.

Again, Thnak-you for any help.

Opinion will vary, perhaps widely, on this but my MX2 (with kidney box) always seemed happy with R40 throughout.

The original factory recommendations in GMC 157 noted a castor based racing oil for both engine and gearbox lubrication, and SAE 10 or 20 for the primary chaincase.
    Last edited by johnrunnacles; 15/03/2023, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Scott, John, my suggestion would be ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) for both gearbox and primary. No doubt there will be other suggestions and recommendations.

Comment

Thank-you both. Very new to it all so lots to learn.

Comment

Just be careful with which ATF you buy. Modern versions have ptfe in which is not good for clutches. Although my motor is a 32a in a Scottish I use Silkolene Light Gear OIl in both gearbox and primary drive. It's designed for wet clutches and the gearchange is very slick in the 32a and also my Bantams. Clutches are very smooth too.
          Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

I would think ATF is a bit thin for gearboxes!

Comment

Vauxhall for one used to use ATF in their manual gearboxes circa 80's/90's........ no comment on this application though

Comment

Working...
              X