Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longer con rod

Good afternoon,
    could anybody advise on how much the 32a conrod would cost and a rough price to have a 9e crank split and the longer rod fitted, west cornwall
    thanks,

Contact Villiers Services, or Nametab Engineering, and they will price it for you.

Comment

Thanks,
      A guesstimate would be most welcome before i start contacting companies,

Comment

Originally posted by rynner View Post
        Thanks,
        A guesstimate would be most welcome before i start contacting companies,
        No harm in getting an estimate, you could also ask Simon Bateman (NAMETAB Engineering) 01527 60395

Comment

Thanks for the replies,
          The thing is i have no intention of using either company for the work and dont want to be rude/waste their time, if the rough price is within my budget i will be using a local engine recon company just a mile up the road who did an unleaded head conversion on my land rover and were extremely helpful in measuring the bores and tolerances etc, they are a small family run company who will help out neighbours and before i ask them to do the crank was just wondering wether it is worth it, its a spare engine,
          I was thinking it would be about 40-50pounds but really dont know.
          Last edited by rynner; 16/11/2022, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Maybe for the labour to fit the rod, the cost of the rod and big end bearing would probably be another ?50 so around ?100 all told. Alpha Bearingsof Dudley can probably supply the rod & bearing http://www.alpha-bearings.com/ You would not be wasting their time to get a quote as they dont give prices on their web site http://www.alpha-bearings.com/Big%20...ers%20197+.htm
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 16/11/2022, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks again,
              i have sent Alpha an email,

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                Maybe for the labour to fit the rod, the cost of the rod and big end bearing would probably be another ?50 so around ?100 all told.

You'll be lucky John. You are a bit out of date with prices there!

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post

You'll be lucky John. You are a bit out of date with prices there!
                  Looks like I am bang on Ian 50 quid on eBay new old stock. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204131829...Bk9SR_DMzKeQYQ

Comment

You are lucky, John, finding that listing! It is not the price one would pay VS, Nametab or Alpha, though, which is what the question was. The likelihood is it will need an oversize crankpin, so the ones on ebay won't be any good.

Comment

I bought one from ebay, as it happens the seller is local, it seems that V.S and alpha only do service exchange conrods now so if i need a bigger pin then my options will be to either send the crank to v.s to do whatever to change the rod, source a 32a crank assembly or find and fit a 9e top end and sell my 250 top end,maybe find a cd175/ xl185 lump to fit in, i am drawn to having a 4stroke motor in a scottish but not a Triumph,

Comment

Originally posted by rynner View Post
                        I bought one from ebay, as it happens the seller is local, it seems that V.S and alpha only do service exchange conrods now so if i need a bigger pin then my options will be to either send the crank to v.s to do whatever to change the rod, source a 32a crank assembly or find and fit a 9e top end and sell my 250 top end,maybe find a cd175/ xl185 lump to fit in, i am drawn to having a 4stroke motor in a scottish but not a Triumph,
                        The pin fit should be OK unless the crank has been apart several times before.

Comment

Thanks,Thats reasssuring to hear,
                          I had the ebay one in mind when i first posted my questions and if the local engineer can do the pin then i will most likely fit V.S supplied mains and seals, piston,rings and rebore if needed + a new ignition coil/points and use their carb refurb service,

Comment

Working...
                          X