Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silverstone amal mk2 settings

hi
    i plan to fit a 36mm amal mk2 on my rbs 116 silverstone.
    i'd like to know if someone did it and could give me a starting point concerning internal settings... (jets, needle...)
    i have a pvl , and i'd like to know how to set it with a strobe, mine was only checked statically...

cheers
    nicolas

arf...nobody knows?

Comment

I had a Smoothbore on mine, years ago. I've looked to see if I kept the data, but sadly, it has gone. I always took a range of main jets to meetings, started off with a 500 and then did a plug chop at the end of practice and tried to jet accordingly.

Can't for the life of me remember the slide cut off or needle position. Sorry.
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

many thanks colin
        i'll try the same way

Comment

Amal Ball Park Settings

According to Amals own data sheets, the settings to be used on a 36mm 2 stroke Mk2 as a base line are:

Main Jet 360
          Pilot Jet 25
          Throttle Valve 3
          Needle Position 3
          Needle Jet 108

Clearly some fine tuning will be required but these should be on the safe side. Naturally, you use them at your own risk.

Comment

Probably safer to start off with something a bit larger than 360 on a racer. Better to start rich and weaken rather than burn a piston.
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

The above settings with something like a 450 main jet ought to get you started. The amal range of jets and needles is so limited you can't go far wrong once you've got the main jet in the ball park.

Will

Comment

I tried a 34 mm Mk2 years ago but it just cut out at low revs (unlike the GP2 which I reverted to). I found out later that a larger pilot was required - although that sounds obvious, it didn't seem so at the time! Just a thought if you hit that problem!

Comment

Amal Mk 2 Settings

I had a similar thing with my sprinter. It was using an Invader Kart barrel bored and sleeved to 250cc and a 34mm Mk2 bored to 35mm. I found I needed a 50 pilot jet and a 109 needle jet with 360 main jet, otherwise it just cut out at lower revs...John P.

Comment

many thanks to all for those precious informations.
                    the reason for the mk2 is that i find the gp2 tricky(for me) and expensive to tune...
                    sliders are scarcy for the t5gp2, and needles too.
                    by the way, do i need to modify the float bowl level of the mk2?
                    cheers
                    nicolas

Comment

Amal settings

Hi, just found a 1965 tuning sheet for a Silverstone with a 5GP2 Amal 1 3/8carburetter from the Greeves factory.

Main jet 420
                      Pilot jet 25
                      Slide No 3
                      Needle jet .109
                      Needle position No 2. groove

Stuart.

Comment

Originally posted by lancelot View Post
                        by the way, do i need to modify the float bowl level of the mk2?
                        I never had to, the Mk2 seems to work ok even with the steep downdraught.

Mine was a 36mm, hence the large main jet, Will's suggestion of starting off with a 450 makes better sense. (And he's a good bit quicker than I ever was!)
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

many thanks...i'll try this way and give results when set up will be fine!!
                          cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lancelot View Post
                            many thanks...i'll try this way and give results when set up will be fine!!
                            cheers
                            Any news on this?

David.

Comment

not yet, but still waiting for the right jets .
                              i had to build an alloy inlet pipe.
                              so i'll try and tell us the issue.
                              the bike will be on track in august 3-4 (coyote's days)
                              has somebody a plan to find gearbox spares?
                              cheers
                              nicolas

Comment

Working...
                              X