Griffon GBox Main shaft - clutch end bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon GBox Main shaft - clutch end bearing

This is the 6206 Z bearing - Should this bearing be unsealed/open - to allow for heat/pressure - or is sealed ok?
    Cheers Kim

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
    This is the 6206 Z bearing - Should this bearing be unsealed/open - to allow for heat/pressure - or is sealed ok?
    Cheers Kim
    Hi Kim,

I use a 6206-2RS and pop off one seal on my transmissions.

Kenny

Comment

Hi Kenny thanks for this .....presumably then the open end facing into gearbox and the sealed side on outside - facing the clutch?

Comment

Hi Kenny thanks for this .....presumably then the open end facing into gearbox and the sealed side on outside - facing the clutch?

Hi Kim,

Yes, I was going to note that for you. If you do use your 6206Z, just remember this is a shielded type and there is a small gap between the shield and the inner race of the bearing, while the RS version contacts the inner race.

I also use a 6005-2RS on the clutch to keep all the clutch crud out of the bearing.

Cheers!
        Kenny

Comment

Hi Kenny - I will be using a new bearing as my current one has a big chunk out of it !!! so I will go with your tip
          Cheers Kim
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Kim275; 27/01/2012, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Hi Kenny - I will be using a new bearing as my current one has a big chunk out of it !!! so I will go with your tip
            Cheers Kim
            Oh!! Was that bearing made in China? What the hell happened to everything else in the gearbox?

Kenny

Comment

Fortunately the bit stayed on the outside of the gear cluster !! - and the bearing I think is probably original...... The issue was caused - when a bolt worked loose and jammed the primary chain - and presumably the shock of the shaft cracked the bearing...also cracked the casing in two places around the bearing house - so have had to get it welded up and re-machined.....Amazingly the bearing was still turning freely !!
              Attached Files

Comment

Fortunately the bit stayed on the outside of the gear cluster !! - and the bearing I think is probably original...... The issue was caused - when a bolt worked loose and jammed the primary chain - and presumably the shock of the shaft cracked the bearing...also cracked the casing in two places around the bearing house - so have had to get it welded up and re-machined.....Amazingly the bearing was still turning freely !!
                Wow!

Nick told me a story about then new Greeves owner Brian Gilroy...Nick scattered his shop floor with broken gear boxes and said point blank, "What are you going to do about?"

I have twisted a couple main shafts in two, but never an explosion!

Kenny

Comment

Kenny - you just need to ride harder ...it is only a matter of time :0

Would love to finish the story by saying despite this I rode on to win the race (it was at Mortimer in the Mud)... but the harsh reality was having to drag the bike back through the mud to the paddock with a locked back wheel!! Motocross is a funny old game !!
                  Take care Cheers Kim

Comment

Kenny - you just need to ride harder ...it is only a matter of time :0

Would love to finish the story by saying despite this I rode on to win the race (it was at Mortimer in the Mud)... but the harsh reality was having to drag the bike back through the mud to the paddock with a locked back wheel!! Motocross is a funny old game !!
                    Take care Cheers Kim
                    Well Kim as they say..."the older I get, the faster I used to be" or something like that.

Good luck with your gearbox!

Kenny

Comment

Working...
                    X