Griffon 380 QUB crank case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon 380 QUB crank case

I've just looked at the Griffon 380 QUB engine I've got in a box, which I want to restore, along with the rest of the bike. But, the bottom right hand crank case lug (when viewed from the back of the engine) for bolting on the gearbox is broken.

I'm completely new to Greeves, so my questions may seem a bit niave. I need to know if there are any old 380 engines around, or any crank case halves, or does anyone know if these have been successfully welded in the past (I have the broken piece).

Or is anyone producing engine crank case castings? They look pretty robust so I can't think there is huge demand.

.....or is this a show stopper as far as the engine goes?

Hi,
    Should not be a show stopper - I had a similar problem with my much raced and abused QUB. The upper LHS (one with the dowel) broke clean off on the g box side...route cause was all the other 3 bolts working loose and vibration on the one remaining tight bolt- this has been successfully welded back onto the gearbox - take it to a good alloy Tig welder and they should be able to sort it.

Also - I had all the threads re done with bronze inserts - so now the gearbox to Crank is bolted on very strongly + loctite+ bolts wired together .......to avoid it all coming apart again....
    Good luck with the rebuild.
    Cheers Kim
    p.s If you join the GRA you could post some pictures of the project etc - be good to see.

Comment

If you are Bristol way Alan Brown is a very fine and knowledgeable welder

Comment

griffon lug

make sure its bolted up to the box or a plate so when its welded its welded square

from experince !

gary !!!

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll take heed and get to the task.

Comment

Working...
          X