Griffon 380 rebore sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon 380 rebore sizes?

Hi does anybody know off hand what the over bore sizes are for a 380 griffon?

I now need a rebore on my QUB and need a new piston- but for speed I have a spare barrel which has already been rebored when I got it - (without a piston). It measures 82.3 mm - with vernier calipers.......I reckon 10 thou' of an inch is .25mm - so is this the first rebore?
    Cheers Kim

The books say that the 380 over bores were 20, 40 and 60 thou (the 250 was in 10 thou steps)

Standard bore is 82mm - plus 0.020" is 82.5mm.

Perhaps your cylinder was re-bored with the expectation of a 10 thou piston being available, allowing some running clearance?

If you need a piston, Simon Bateman has some with two thin rings instead of the Dykes ring, he may be able to supply a plus 10 to fit your cylinder.
    John A - 268

Comment

Hi John,
      Thanks for this........I measured 82.3mm but only with a very old set of vernier calipers - so likely that this one is at first re-bore 20 thou = 82.5mm.....
      Will check with Simon on what pistons he has in stock tomorrow.........I agree on them being good pistons - as I had his standard 82mm piston in - and had just fitted a new set of Wiseco rings - and it worked well.........up to the point when an "engineer" rebuilt my small end - left the bearing too tight in gudgeon pin - without drilling the oil holes...........as a result - lots of heat and a circlip popping out and running up and down piston, bore and head...so bit of a mess at the moment - ... ...hence need to either bore out current barrel - or use my spare....and hopefully have it ready for Marks Tey.

Thanks again for your help
      Cheers Kim

Comment

Kim
        I still have my old 82.5mm Griffon piston with the Dykes ring, you are welcome to it if you need it.

When I took the piston and barrel to Simon for a rebore, he said it wasn't worn enough but I replaced the piston anyway for peace of mind.

You might feel happier with a new piston but they are pretty expensive. If you want it, send me a PM with your address and I will put it in the post.
        John A - 268

Comment

Hi John,
          Many thanks for your kind offer. Just spoke to Simon - and he is shipping a new 82.5 - so hopefully I will be sorted.
          Cheers Kim

Comment

Kim

No problem, I am sure you will feel happier with a new piston.
            John A - 268

Comment

Working...
            X