36mx4 / Griffon clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36mx4 / Griffon clutch

Just fitted a new piston, as the compression was a bit on the low side. I found that the lower ring was gummed solid in its slot, hence the low compression.

Now, with the new piston, the compression has improved so much that the ruddy clutch slips when I kick it over! It didn't slip at the last meeting at Maylandsea (when ridden), so I wonder if this only really noticeable on kickover.

I know the clutch (griffon type) is over-due a rebuild, but I'll be stuffed if it slips at Marks Tey on Sunday. Its a bit late in the day to order a NEB clutch!

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Andrew

Griffon clutch

Andy,
    Slipping isn't usually a problem with the Griffon clutch. Take it apart and see if the 7 pins have been touching the basket, this sometimes happens when it gets worn. The quick answer is to machine the inside face of the basket so that it clears the head of the pins. If this isn't the problem then it probably needs new plates, Terry Sewell usually has them and it only takes a few minutes (before practice?) to change them.
    As a last resort gum the rings up.

Druid

Comment

Hi Andy - all Druids tips are good - ....seems strange that it has suddenly worn out? - they are pretty solid clutches.

Just quickly check that you have the clutch adjusted correctly. Maybe it could grip with the low compression but slips against the resistence of the higher compression? or if no play in the rod it will slip- make sure with all the cable slackened off that the rod/lever is far right - close to the hole....BUT you still have some slack in the cable/lever. ...If that doesn't work .as druid suggests head over to DAve H and Terry first thing sunday

Comment

Originally posted by druid View Post
        As a last resort gum the rings up.

Druid
        Oh yes, I like it!
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Problem solved, well almost...

Thanks for the suggestions, it was mainly down to push-rod adjustment, but not quite as simple as that.

It might take a while to explain, but worth it if anyone else has the same problem. OK, here goes, hope it makes sense:

1) On reading an earlier thread on Griffons with stiff clutches, I decide to try and adjust mine properly. However, I found that the adjuster on the actuator arm on the rhs of the gearbox had been fixed in with loctite, and there was no thread to speak of in the adjuster! So, I replaced it, and the adjuster screw.

2) I assumed that the adjustment on the clutch side was already correct, but it was miles out. The pushrod was protruding so much out the rhs that it was actually inside the actuator arm. This was fine when there were no threads in the arm, but with the new arm, the pushrod was being pushed by the arm and not the adjustment screw!

I thought something was wrong when I removed the adjuster screw completely and it didn't affect the clutch play at all!!

3) Finally, clutch properly adjusted, cable re-routed, feels 100% better then before.

4) Unfortunately after all that, it still slips on kickover sometimes, but only when the motor kicks back, and doesn't seem to slip when riding.

So, it probably needs new plates - I'll be going to Terry Sewell's stall early on Sunday!

Cheers,
          Andrew

Comment

Working...
          X