Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition timing 360/380 engines

Hi All,

I was just wondering what ignition advance people are using for these engines.

Cheers,
    Andrew

timming

POINTS 16 THOU 3.1/2 mm BTDC I USE A CURCUIT TESTER ON BUZZ WITH A DTI DOWN THE PLUG HOLE ? IS THIS ANY HELP ?

GREEVES246

Comment

Originally posted by greeves246 View Post
      POINTS 16 THOU 3.1/2 mm BTDC I USE A CURCUIT TESTER ON BUZZ WITH A DTI DOWN THE PLUG HOLE ? IS THIS ANY HELP ?

GREEVES246
      Thanks Gary,

I have PVL electronic ignition on the 36MX4, and they don't recommend going to any more than 2.4 - 2.6mm BTDC. This was why I wondered what others were using.

Cheers,
      Andrew

Comment

Ignition timing

Andy,
        The factory setting was 3.5mm BTDC but this was in the days of good old 5 star leaded.
        I run at 2.8 mm on my late 250 Griffon on unleaded. If the suppliers recommend 2.6mm I would try that, if it's too retarded it will only go flat.

Druid

Comment

AH, does the PVL have an advance curve? That may be why they have a different static setting.

Comment

ignition

hi there,

the P.V.L does have an advance curve, it depends which coil you have, look on the P.V.L website in Germany.

i run a 380 Qub @ 3.5deg BTDC with P.V.L, BUT the compression had be reduced.

start @ 2.5 deg & go from there, all bikes are different depending on what fuel you use, compression ratio, expansion chamber effectiveness etc

hope this helps

David

Comment

Many thanks for the replies, sounds like somewhere between 2.5mm - 3.5mm should be ok. Will start at 2.5mm and see what happens!

I hope I don't melt the new piston on Sunday!

Cheers,
              Andrew

Comment

ignition

see you on Sunday, number 265 if u need any more info bout timing etc

regards

David

Originally posted by Andy Z View Post
                Many thanks for the replies, sounds like somewhere between 2.5mm - 3.5mm should be ok. Will start at 2.5mm and see what happens!

I hope I don't melt the new piston on Sunday!

Cheers,
                Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by mudmonkey View Post
                  see you on Sunday, number 265 if u need any more info bout timing etc

regards

David
                  Thanks David!

Comment

Working...
                  X