Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albion gearbox on MX2

Any Albion experts out there?

My Challenger has the kidney-shaped 'box, which I'm trying rebuild. Being new to these gearboxes, I'm a bit puzzled at some of the design features.

Firstly, the kickstart shaft has an o-ring where it goes through the inner cover. Why?

The selector quadrant doesn't have an o-ring, so presumably the oil will seep into the outer cover eventually.

Is the control ratchet thingy not meant to run in oil?

How did BSA manage to make a strong, reliable gearbox with about 20 less components?!

Cheers,
    Andrew

Albion Gearboxes

Andy You may like to read the threads on this forum http://www.tractorbox.co.uk/forum/fo...s.asp?TID=3477
    Although this is a garden tractor web site, I think all Albion boxes are similar construction & one poster talks of using sealed bearings to stop oil leaking on clutch. Did not Albion specify grease instead of oil which would not be so prone to leak. The 4 speed Albion boxes used on the Villiers 6/8E suffered similar problems I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
      Did not Albion specify grease instead of oil which would not be so prone to leak.
      NO! Oil in a scramber 'box John!

Andy, I published step-by-step instructions on dismantling and reassembling the Kidney box in LL a few years back. If you email me on the address on page 2 of any LL with your address I'll send you a copy.
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
        NO! Oil in a scramber 'box John!

Andy, I published step-by-step instructions on dismantling and reassembling the Kidney box in LL a few years back. If you email me on the address on page 2 of any LL with your address I'll send you a copy.
        Many thanks Colin, have sent you an email.

Cheers,
        Andrew

Comment

Working...
        X