Moorland Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moorland Blue

Is ther a B.S. or RAL Spec. for 'Moorland Blue'? Where can it be obtained?

Sorry if this is the umpteenth time this question has been asked!

Maurice McGladdery

You might do a search on this subject, but in short, there may be a code for it now, but it was a day by day mix at the factory, so the code adopted will be a best guess!

Comment

Yes, please do a search on this, there's plenty of information in this forum, including suppliers. Just click search, enter Moorland Blue and loads of stuff (some of it relevant) will pop up.
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Moorland Blue

Thanks Colin and Brian. I have had a search and I get the picture. I think I will go for Black frame and forks etc.. with Silver tanks. My ES2 looks ok in that livery. Very easy to touch up at later date as well. Call it 'chickening out' but the easy life has it's attractions.
        Maurice

Comment

moorland blue

I had a new footrest and had the paint matched they used to say jaguar blue in early leading links

greeves used to mix paint or have batches and every batch was a diffrent shade so as long as its blue and of a powdery shade light it would pass but better to find a piece that hasent been blasted (steering head).

silver -strato silver and red was ford rosso red

Comment

moorland blue

If you are not a 'rivet counter' & not restoring the bike as a show bike then Hammerite Smoothrite Blue is a near match & can be brush painted with good results & is quick drying. Its also available in large size aerosols, but like all paint these days is expensive. They do it in silver as well
            Durable, corrosion resistant decorative coating for ferrous and non-ferrous metals, certain plastics and wood. This is a brilliant gloss finish which will retain its sheen for years.
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 02/09/2012, 08:52 AM. Reason: link added

Comment

paint

Later griffons were painted in hammerite to cover bad new welding process !
              the blue smootherite looks like the right shade though

Comment

moorland blue

Thanks John that sounds practical. Readily available and does the job. Great.

Maurice

Comment

Gary ,

If I recall correctly , 56 & 58 Griffons were painted plain silver QUB black & Mk2 Griffon plain silver , none were painted with hammer silver , the only hammer silver bikes were Anglians .

The only parts on a Griffon frame not welded with bronze rods & a gasfluxer were the swinging arm pivots , footrest mounts , ( mig welded ) , and the swinging arm halves which were gas welded .

I suspect the comment about hammer silver being used to hide bad welding processess was one of these tales told by a friend , who heard it from a friend , who knew the sweeper up at the factory .

There is enough mis information about Greeves going about already without new rumours being started .

Chris
                  Last edited by riflegreen; 07/09/2012, 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

That hammer silver! I bought a tin of it from Beamish Motors to make my Scottish look like an Anglian (I'm talking 40 years ago!). Lovely paint job but did it ever dry? - no! I wasn't told it was stoving enamel! I eventually got the stuff off and painted it with green Valspar to make it look like a Challenger as I was more interested in scrambles by then!

So there's a bit of genuine Greeves information - Anglians were painted with definitely non air drying stoving enamel!! Happy days! Rob

Comment

hammer silver -

Originally posted by riflegreen View Post
                      Gary ,

If I recall correctly , 56 & 58 Griffons were painted plain silver QUB black & Mk2 Griffon plain silver , none were painted with hammer silver , the only hammer silver bikes were Anglians .

The only parts on a Griffon frame not welded with bronze rods & a gasfluxer were the swinging arm pivots , footrest mounts , ( mig welded ) , and the swinging arm halves which were gas welded .

I suspect the comment about hammer silver being used to hide bad welding processess was one of these tales told by a friend , who heard it from a friend , who knew the sweeper up at the factory .

There is enough mis information about Greeves going about already without new rumours being started .

Chris
                      I was told buy DAVE HARPER (I asked dave "why did they paint some griffons with hammer finnish paint" he said "they tried a new welding process and bert felt it was to rough so they painted it with hammer finnish" ,GEOFF AND JOHN COLLARD as well told me the same
                      so they must have swept the floor then lol,

But yes greeves did use sif bronze on most joints -
                      welding process but i was naturaly referring to the steel welded areas of the griffon frame.

I have brand new footrest from greeves and a side stand with hammer finnish paint (greeves did paint new parts black sometimes ! as i have mx1 with brand new forks on black) on for a griffon please explain how it got there chris ?.
                      i have a silver and black griffons with a 250 griffon in hammer finnish silver

and yes rob that paint is a sod to dry couldnt agree more even with "fast
                      flash thinner".

gary

Comment

Moorland blue

To Gary,
                        If I did say that, I was probably talking rubbish, I often do. As far as I remember the only Greeves painted in hammer silver were the Anglians and , I think, the '68 ISDT Challengers. I stand to be corrected though, we're talking a long time ago.
                        To Rob, the Greeves spares department did sell small tins of touch up hammer silver which did dry.

Druid

Comment

Originally posted by druid View Post
                          To Gary,
                          If I did say that, I was probably talking rubbish, I often do. As far as I remember the only Greeves painted in hammer silver were the Anglians and , I think, the '68 ISDT Challengers. I stand to be corrected though, we're talking a long time ago.
                          To Rob, the Greeves spares department did sell small tins of touch up hammer silver which did dry.

Druid
                          Hi Druid and Gary.

The 250 and 380 Griffon Enduros as well as the 72-73 USA 250 desert and MX Griffons were hammer silver, the QUB of course was black. An interesting detail was that the Enduro frame steering head gussets were wire welded and not brazed, this might be the the frame Dave was talking about??? The last batch of 74 Griffons that Nick imported were black frames with mostly large gold tanks or the much nicer alloy tank.

Regards,
                          Kenny Sykes
                          Last edited by Bearingman; 08/09/2012, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Gary ,

Very unlikely that OBG had any input on the colour the bikes were painted , he sold the factory in 1973 and had spent most of the two previous years in Malta .

The footrest and side stand may be from an Anglian or an export enduro bike , I had nothing to do with US enduro bikes and did not know they were painted hammer silver .

Can you qualify the sentence ? , " (greeves did paint new parts black sometimes ! as i have mx1 with brand new forks on black) on for a griffon please explain how it got there chris ?. "

The factory did not paint off road parts black until the QUB , very likely painted by a previous owner .

What model is your hammer silver Griffon ?.

Chris

Comment

Hi chris, going off thread a bit, but if obg sold in 1973, who ran the company untill its closure, just interested, regards, dave.

Comment

Working...
                              X