The Chappells' 24MX4. (Post 1 Of 3.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chappells' 24MX4. (Post 1 Of 3.)

In a recent thread about (and posted prior to) this years GRA AGM, Scott Chappell told us the interesting story of the 24 MX4 that his Dad Steve used to race, and the good news that it is now back with them (where it belongs!)

I'll be posting more on the 2012 GRA AGM in due course (inc. pics), but in the meantime I felt that this wonderful bike (and story) deserved it's own dedicated thread, along with some pics I took (as promised Scott.) A more genuinely original bike would be hard to find, and it really is in first class fettle thanks to the lads efforts. It certainly was appreciated by all I spoke to. Many congratulations Scott, and well done mate! It was good to see you again today. These pics will certainly help with my modeling project! (No Mr Higgins, not THAT kind of modelling...!!!)

I've copied Scott's original post (see Post #23 here; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...0463#post10463) from the recent 'AGM' thread (see below) for ease of reference with the attached pics. Hope everyone enjoys seeing them-it was even better in the metal! Cracking bike!

Brian.

Hi All,

Looking forward to sunday.

It will be the first public showing of my Dads original 24MX4 which we are both very proud of.

It is an interesting machine that my Dad bought from Monty Banks M/Cs in 1969, it was about six months old then and the bike was Montys own machine!! Dad campaigned the bike for the next 3 years in the eastern centre and in a few rounds of the under 21s British Championship. The bike was sold locally when Dad met my Mum and set up house etc (How many have done that!!)

At a classic scramble at Farleigh Castle in circa 1991 Dad saw an MX4 Challenger being ridden by Jim Aim which looked very similar except the bike now had a Long Stroke Engine fitted, Dad jotted the frame number down to check we he got home as he still had the original bill of sale from Monty. It was Dads old bike!! Jim Aim was approaced many times over the years about selling us the bike back but to no avail. I bought myself a Short Stroke mx4 in nov 2006 which made dad even more nostalgic.

I then personally phoned Jim and after a lot of pestering he said Maybe he would sell. Feb 1st 2010 I got the call from Jim, do we want the mx4? (Hell Yes!) We picked the bike up from the PRE65 Agm that weekend

The bike came with its original engine as well as the Long Stroke one fitted. The bike has been lovingly restored, it is still very original. The Engine was fully rebuilt, as was the gearbox (Geoff Nunn.) We managed to buy an exhaust of ebay which though expensive was in fantastic condition. But the only negative on the bike is someone in its life drilled various parts but we left them like that as it is part of its history.

Hope you all like it??

Also we are taking our 3 race bikes with us to show.

See you all Sunday.

Scotty 151
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 02/04/2012, 01:23 AM. Reason: Pics attached.

The Chappells' 24MX4. (Post 2 Of 3.)

Here are some more pics (see attached.)

Brian.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 01/04/2012, 07:38 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

The Chappells' 24MX4. (Post 3 of 3.)

Here's some final pics. I've also attached a pic of the 'info board' the lads displayed with the bike, which has some cracking pics of the bike being ridden by it's original (and now current!) owner. Thanks for doing that chaps, it's really nice to see some of a bikes original history presented like that.

Thanks for bringing it to the AGM for us all to see Scott, along with your other bikes. Bl**dy good effort, as always mate!

Brian.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 01/04/2012, 07:38 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

Absolutely stunning refit, an absolute credit to the owners. I look forward to seeing it in action.

Comment

I agree with that, well done scott & steve, also like to say what a pleasure it was, to meet everyone & have a chat.
          As for you Brian, modelling indeed!, you are making me out to be some kind of smutty, sex obsessed, Benny Hill type character , this is clearly not true, as i don`t wear glasses?..... dave.

Comment

Thanks Brian,

Great photos, it was nice catching up with you again

It was nice to get such a good response about the rebuild, me and dad only started the rebuild in January.

As to seeing it in action mr Catt, battlesbridge will probably be the day, we haven't even started it yet!!!

Thanks again to everybody's positive and kind words. It makes it with all worth the effort!

It was a bonus to get a concours trophy as well.

Roll on maylandsea next Sunday for round 1 of the 2012 championship!!!

Scotty151

Comment

Good times!

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
              I agree with that, well done scott & steve, also like to say what a pleasure it was, to meet everyone & have a chat.
              As for you Brian, modelling indeed!, you are making me out to be some kind of smutty, sex obsessed, Benny Hill type character , this is clearly not true, as i don`t wear glasses?..... dave.
              Nice one Dave, me too mate.

So I take it you'll not be wanting me to tell Rob to add you to his 'special' Christmas Advent Calender mailing list, the one that Dicky and I look forward to so much every year.....?! It's a very interesting and educational gentleman's publication, and besides, as I always say there's 'nowt wrong with having a hobby....!

Cosmo Smallpeice.

Comment

Originally posted by scott151 View Post
                Thanks Brian,

Great photos, it was nice catching up with you again

It was nice to get such a good response about the rebuild, me and dad only started the rebuild in January.

As to seeing it in action mr Catt, battlesbridge will probably be the day, we haven't even started it yet!!!

Thanks again to everybody's positive and kind words. It makes it with all worth the effort!

It was a bonus to get a concours trophy as well.

Roll on maylandsea next Sunday for round 1 of the 2012 championship!!!

Scotty151
                My great pleasure Scott, and likewise mate.

The appreciation you lads got today was richly deserved.

Brian.
                Last edited by Brian Thompson; 02/04/2012, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Steve and Scott - Fantastic history - and a stunning bike - look forward to seeing it in action at Battlesbridge ! Looking forward to catching up on Sunday at Maylandsea.
                  Cheers Kim

Comment

Bump

Just bumpping this thread,

This bike will be at battlesbridge on sunday, we are hoping to take another 5 with us aswell

See you all sunday

Scotty

Comment

Bumper to Bumper.

I should think it will be with 6 bikes in the back of the van!!!

You and Steve always do us proud for bikes to see and hear in action Scott!

Brian.

Comment

Working...
                      X