Colchester Lathes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colchester Lathes

For all those engineers out there, local firm Colchester Lathes - information film about how they were made.. sheer quality machines!
    Regards
    john9700

Watched this one the other day. Memories of the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment Apprentice School. We had Student, Triumph, and Chipmaster models. Happy days.
    Last edited by Phil Hyde; 08/11/2021, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Hi Phil
      Thanks for the reply, yes sweet memories from school days & apprenticeship for me too in the metalwork machine shops where there were mixes of Colchester’s & Boxford (I think), Meddings & Fobco’s.. all the usual quality gear. What a treat it’d be to turn back the clock of time?
      KR
      john9700

Comment

Aside from Colchester, we had Jones and Shipman surface grinders, Alcock & Shipley Mills, Archdale shapers. These were all imperial. We had some metric machines as well . The tool kit we made in the first year was ours for a mere 17/6.........still got it, still in use.

Comment

I live in Heckmondwike, so obviously mine's a Harrison- never had a formal lesson in how to use it, but seem to get by.

Comment

Wow, just watched this,brilliant,I've taken my 'Chipmaster' for granted.
            Still using mine,and the boxes (at 24.45 in green and white).
            British engineering at its best.
            Boycott C---a.

Comment

Working...
            X