Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Projects???

Good am all!
    Thought, with the chill in the air already, this might be a good topic!
    SOOOO, Whats in your shed/shop project wise for the winter??

ME...MYMY, not sure winter is long enough! LOL!

1)3 Hondas that need new sprockets and chains...got the parts!
    2)1960 Lambreta...good bones, but total take apart and paint etc go through engine and put back together!
    3)Finish the 97XR--waiting on backordered flange bolts for friction plate on the clutch, and airbox housing.
    4)Tires waiting at Honda dealer for the 150f and XR200R
    5)77 KZ 1000...needs painted, tires, shocks, and R handlebar switch frozen, relay out somewhere for headlights, replace fuel lines....fire her up....go through spare engine too.
    6)Getting a 1984 XR350R this weekend...body pristine, but engine out and needs gone through.
    WHATEVER ELSE I RESCUE IN THE MEANTIME....GOT A LINE ON A COMBAT WOMBAT....I JUST LOVE HODAKA'S. Looking for dirtsquirt, super rat or combat wombat.

NOW, I think this BUG has done crossed over into a SICKNESS!!

I may find myself in the same situation as my good friend "BRAIN!"..LOL!! The white van rolling up to either take me away or bring me back.....

Couldn't resist that one!!

SOO, what yall got planned??
    Take care,
    Tammy

Hi Tammy

This will send them all off to the reference books!

I've got a 1939 Montgomery Terrier lined up to refurb.; one of the last ones out of the factory before the Luftwaffe obliterated Coventry in 1940. They never reopened.

Comment

Better than a Suzuki GSXR1000 'K9'....!

Hi Frank!

I googled it and this is all I could find...HONEST!!! (see attached!!!)

Must be a rare 'beast' (sorry!) indeed. Any chance of seeing a pic please? It sounds very interesting.

Brian.
      Attached Files

Comment

Just to add to the mayhem, I have a 1923 Monopole, also made in Coventry.

Think they never got as far as WW2 as they were only in production for a few years.

I keep walking past the remains although it has me surrounded with bits in two sheds plus the loft!

Currently getting an Anglian back together after 30 years in seed boxes (the bike that is!)

Cheers,

Rob

Comment

Terrier

Brian, I've got one of those as well.

If you look in Roy Bacon's book of Bikes of the 1930s there's a picture there of a Montgomery Terrier. They are charming little bikes, powered by a Villiers 125cc 9D engine. It has a lever-throttle and a hand-gearchange, and it is best suited to riders who have three hands. (There are plenty of us here in Yorkshire!)

I've had a go at adding a photo. I have to say that it looks far better than the reality! The last owner painted it with a toilet brush in a dark cellar.

Another thing to own up to - I'm one of those sad people who gives names to his bikes. I mainly do it so that my wife might understand which one I'm going out on, but here they are: My 1927 Raleigh is of course, Walter. The Montgomery is Bernard, and naturally, my Greeves is Jimmy (with poetic licence over the spelling of Greeves). So there! I don't care. Anybody else like to own up?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Frank; 01/10/2010, 08:35 PM. Reason: Can't abide typos.

Comment

A little 'bobby dazzler' Frank!

Nice one Frank, good banter!

What a lovely little bike you have there! Certainly a new one on me, and reminds me of the time I first visited the National Motorcycle museum and noted all the long defunct marques that we once had in this country, now sadly long gone....

Well done on getting to grips with the picture attachment feature too, nice one! I'm hoping they'll be no stopping you now and that you'll be able to post some pics of your Greeves in due course as well (yes please!)

In the meantime, have you seen this thread Frank? ; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...read.php?t=524

It's a great place to post info about the other machines we have tucked away. Maybe you could add something on your Terrier (and others), along with a few more pics. I for one would love to see more!

Now then, it seems as though a trend is developing here, what with Tammy's 'Eleanor', Blackshiver's 'Tammy', and now 'Bernard', 'Jimmy' et al...could this be a the subject of a new thread I wonder?! I've certainly called my old Duke a few names in the past but I don't think I'd better repeat them here......!!! I'm usually in enough trouble as it is...!

Brian.

Comment

Glad you like it, Brian,

it is a lovely little bike, and I'm slowly getting it into good condition. I've just sorted out the rear wheel with bearings, brake and sprocket, which were sadly all ahoo when I acquired it. Somebody had had a go at putting a new sprocket on and had made it fit with washers. The same bodger had cobbled two new bearings in and had made up some spacers to try to make it all work. I realised there might be a problem when I noticed that you could actually see the brake shoes through the gap between the plate and the drum. I remachined the sprocket, sorted out the spacers, put two correct bearings in and rebuilt the wheel while I was at it. I do my own wheel-building, and using a DTI I managed to true this one down to 20 thou.

I gave it a test ride up and down the street while my grandson, aged 9, was watching. He is used to the idea of a foot-gearchange but had never seen a hand one before. The lever is in an odd position, and his first question when I finished was, "Grandad, why did you keep scratching your bottom?"

Comment

Working...
              X