Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spammers-important notice for all forum users!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spammers-important notice for all forum users!!!!!

Hi everyone,

We have installed on the forum a 'spam filter' which recognises and automatically 'moderates' any spurious or unwanted posts. Whenever one of the forum moderation team logs on and clicks 'New Posts', any 'spam' posts are contained in a seperate section, invisible to other forum members/users. This allows us to keep them seperate and deal with them immediately by deleting and removing the posts from the website and then permanently banning the poster.

Very occasionally our 'spam filter' misses one and it slips through the net. This happened just a few minutes ago while I was online and in a different area of the forum (answering a PM.)

I noticed that a forum member had replied to the spam post. PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!

The problem is that some of these 'spammers' are 'automated' software programs called 'spambots' that 'roam' around the internet leaving unwanted 'spam' anywhere they can find, and generally making everones life a misery....Any interation with them AT ALL demonstrates to them that they have happened upon a 'Live' site, and the usual result is that the 'spam' increases on that site ten fold. It is then the moderator team's job to remove it, significantly increasing our forum admin load for no good reason....

If any member sees a 'spam' post, or recieves a 'dodgy' PM (Private Message), PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT respond! Instead, please simply INFORM THE MODERATION TEAM and let us deal with it. There is an icon on every post ('Report Post') that will do this automatically for you, and flag it up instantly to all the moderators.

Be assured that we are very much 'on it' dealing with these scum, and the membership list is monitored many times daily by the team to get rid of them, often even before they can post. We are also able to stop them during the registration process as we have ways of identifying them....

So, please help us to keep the forum clear of these idiots by just ignoring them, and LET US DEAL WITH IT FOR YOU!!!!!

Thank you all for your help and assistance in this regard.

Brian.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 25/07/2010, 02:25 PM.

Point taken Brian, but some of these appear genuine, ie it was in correct area (off topic) & often on other forums (& indeed possibly on here) people do ask about computor matters as there is usually someone on board who can help. Clue should have been in the name & country. Sorry mate.

Comment

No worries mate!

That's the problem with these idiots.....Until I found a way of identifying them it was really hard for all of us to tell who they were as well. Further, 'Off Topic Chat' often seems to be their favoured destination subforum for their sad little posts...

They are clever....but not clever enough. The lengths some of 'em go to to get around our checks defy all reason at times. Still, the brilliant thing is that every time we ban one of 'em THE SPAMMERS ARE AUTOMATICALLY REPORTED TO THE APPROPRIATE AUTHORITIES....GOOD!!!! (ARE YOU READING THIS SPAMMERS...I DO HOPE SO....)

They can run, but they can't hide.......

Rest assured everyone, we have excellent safeguards in place here to protect the forum and it's users from these sad individuals, and there is no more threat on here to anyone than as applies to normal everyday internet useage. We're well covered and the system is working very well.

Isn't it a shame that these idiots can't find something more constructive and positive to do with their lives.....

Brian.
      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 25/07/2010, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Spam

Hi,

Yes, I saw the item, and wondered why ask such on a 'bike oriented site. I would'nt have answered anyway. (I'm not that clever!).

Why SPAM? I quite liked this as a kid, mom used to make SPAM fritters. These IT terms really confuse me. Mind you, I find pressing 'Start' to turn my Computer OFF confusing!

Now if they'd called such rubbish 'Cauliflower Cheese' (I hate the stuff, even the smell makes me heave), then I'd have understood.......

Confused of North Warwickshire.

Comment

Pest Control Dept.

Ah yes, SPAM...frying daily on here!

Sick Perverted Annoying Mono-celled organisms...!

(or is that insulting to 'pond life'...?)

Locked and Loaded, of South Warickshire! (Grrrrrr!)

Must dash....just noticed I've got a couple of new customers to deal with.......(KILL! KILL!)
          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 24/07/2010, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Thoroughly endorse all of Brian's remarks. Normal users please just ignore the blighters and we'll deal with them. Trust me, there is no end of spamming activity on this forum that you legitimate users never see...
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Pest control etc.

Thanks Colin.

Brian.

Comment

Working...
              X