HGV Speed limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HGV Speed limits

As from today, if you ride a small or older bike expect to see your mirrors full of big lorry

Dogsbody

Hi db, as an ex hgv driver, i can tell you...you might see one in your mirrors, but i can assure you, with current eu & uk training regs, these guys are subject to far more stringent, training programs & road awareness than the average person in front of them on the road.....give the guys a break....look around your home...its all brought in by trucks....

Comment

This brings them into line with van speed limits. You wouldn't know it from everyday observation, but "non car-derived" vans - Transit-type vehicles - are limited to 50 on single carriageways, 60 on dual and 70 on motorways.

Have to say that, on dual carriageways I prefer to cruise my Tranny nearer seventy simply so as to not obstruct the traffic flow.

Heavies overtaking on two-lane dual carriageways really are a nuisance - if only the overtaken drivers would lift off for couple of seconds and give the overtaking optimist the chance to pull back in a bit sooner.

I don't suppose this change will make a great deal of difference - HGVs are mostly governed to 56mph anyway - aren't they?
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

It will make a considerable difference, as increasing the permitted speed up to 50mph on s/carrageways, will help stop the build up of traffic behind the hgv`s.
        This is when an accident is most likely to happen, when impatient motorists, try to overtake in limited time & space!.....

Comment

Dave, it wasn't a criticism of HGV drivers, merely an observation of the permitted speed increase. As one who rides small and slow bikes it means I need to be more aware on single carriageway roads. It also shows the hypocrisy of government. They defend not increasing the upper limit on motorways to 80mph on grounds of pollution whereas most cars now are more fuel efficient and less polluting than when the 70 limit was introduced.
          And as for the proposed £12.50 charge for pre 2007 bikes....How can a Honda C90 be more polluting than a 4 or 5 litre car let alone a bus?
          I cannot go into London with the motorhome now my bikes would be affected!
          Dogsbody

Comment

Its ok db, i didn`t take it as a criticism, just feel i have point out thats its not all one way traffic.....

Comment

I'll agree with Dave about the skills and professionalism of OUR Truckers, but around the Metropolis it is common to see trucks from distant lands being conducted outside the parameters set by our authorities and presumably their own. The situation is getting better because the Police and the DVLA have been extremely busy in catching them and relieving them of some of their money and their loads in some cases.
              You can feel confident that one of our guys will stay in lane around roundabouts, but the wary will stay well behind a foreign plate under these circumstances.

Comment

With you Dave and BC ......I do a lot of motorway miles - 3 times a week i circumnavigate the M25 ....for reasons too boring to go into.........I would say 8 out of 10 accidents i see are involving a foreign lorry and a poor unfortunate car driver........and I see a lot -........but can't remember seeing an accident with a UK plated lorry ......go figure.....

Comment

HGV Speed Limits

I can see it from all the views expressed, by our loyal band of subscribers, what gets me is the Politics of this country on all things from overseas.

If we travel abroad by car, Bike ,or Truck we are at the mercy of these nations, get a parking ticket, you pay on the spot, speeding the same, any offence with a truck and they square wheel you and you get fleeced before you can move on, I know as a few years ago i used to drive to Spain and a couple of times to the eastern block countries,at border controls customs would nick a bit of what you were carrying as away of letting you get moving again.

Over here the land of plenty for foreign vehicles, park where you like, speed at will, go over the toll bridges, illegal weights, etc and when we now stop foreign trucks they are issued fines that are seldom paid anyway.cheap fuel, no tolls, ferry crossings paid mostly by there goverments, and they call it a level playing field for British Hauliers (Rubbish).

I have digressed away from the speed issue, but they say in Germany they have less accidents on motorways and the speeds allowed are higher?http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...s/confused.gif

Comment

Its really on the A roads & dual carriageways where it will make a bit of difference. Buses & Coaches have always had the higher 50mph limit on A roads but lorries were restricted to 40. Ok most never kept to 40 other than some of the larger 'respectable' firms. Around here it was usual to come up behind a Sainsburys lorry working in & out of Buntingford. This caused long tailbacks & as Dave has said then some idiot would try & overtake. 40 mph these days is snails pace.

Comment

Having just read the post's on this subject, I noticed Dogsbody's thoughts on the car 70 mph speed limit.
                      I would like to point out that when a car emission system is designed and homologated, one area that is set to get the best emissions to meet EU emission regulations is at 120 km/hr(75 mph) so this also gives you the best fuel consumption. Can you see where I'm going?
                      This knowledge was gained when working for Ford research at Dunton for 20 yr's on engine development.

Mike.

Comment

Working...
                      X