Spammer Cull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spammer Cull

Hello all you genuine people out there. Thanks for your interest in the forum.

The other Moderators and I are a bit concerned about the number of apparent or potential spammers registering on the forum.

We're planning a cull of users who have registered but have not posted. The cull might pick up a genuine user or two who have not plucked up the courage to post yet. If so, apologies if your login suddenly ceases to work.

It won't take place until we get time to do it. In the meantime why not put a few details in your profile to help us? Plus you could always submit a post of course...
    Colin Sparrow

Spammer Cull.

I fully endorse that Colin.

Brian.

Comment

Cull

A good idea I think Colin there are a lot of odd names on the members list. Did everyone get a notification "want get cash by playing ?" or was it just me ?

Regards John

Comment

Want to get cash by playing?

Ah - I got that one as well.
        I played my Guitar to the computer but it failed to hit the jackpot for some reason. I suppose the cash comes out of the C/D drive, mine is broken.

Comment

Spam PMs.

Cheers for mentioning this lads, it's much appreciated.

It's also a good opportunity to remind everyone to report anything like this to one of the forum moderators asap, then we can ban the blighters immediately (or words to that effect....!)

We're on it!

Brian.
          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 11/06/2010, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Spammer Cull Update.

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that as of today (and following a last big effort to wade through the member list) the 'spammer cull' is complete for the time being and we are pretty well clear of 'non-genuine' users, for the time being at least. Of course, there may be the odd few that we may have missed, and our apologies if we have inadvertantly banned any genuine members/users by mistake.

As Colin mentioned in his earlier post, the 'traffic' has been very high at times and we need to remain vigilant on a daily basis in order to keep them off the forum. For this reason, once again it would be a considerable help to the moderation team if all genuine users who haven't already done so could put something in their 'User Profiles' to help us to identify you as a bona fide forum member, as it is often impossible to tell from the user names given....There is no need to give specific personal info if you don't wish to, and you don't have to be a GRA member of course, but something that shows you are a genuine user that can help us to spot the spammers who have joined (who have no interest in Greeves or motorcycling whatsoever) would be very helpful indeed. As Colin suggests, this is also a good reason to consider posting something if you haven't already, as this would help us to identify who everyone is as well. If you're a bit stuck for ideas, a simple 'Hello' in 'New Members' would be fine, or perhaps a comment on a previous post. It really would be a huge help to us.

And don't forget, if you are a current GRA member then you can validate your membership for full access to all areas of the forum, including being able to upload your pics. To do so please contact Rob at:

contact@greeves-riders.org.uk

Anyway, thank you all for your continued support and cooperation, and for doing all you can to help us to keep our forum clear of these extremely unwelcome 'pests' (not my usual term to describe 'em as I'm sure you can imagine.....!!!) As I'm sure Colin and Mike would attest, keeping on top of the spammers can often be very tedious and time consuming.....but at least we're winning for the moment.

For information, since going live we have succesfully banned over 1,224 spammers (including deleting all their posts of course), and we currently have 153 members, and counting....!

And please do keep those posts coming!

Brian.
            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 08/07/2010, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X