Petrol, oil and paraffin disposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrol, oil and paraffin disposal

I've got a container with about 3 or 4 litres of a mixture of petrol, oil and paraffin in it, as a result of draining and chain cleaning. My local council don't accept old fuel or oil at recycling centres.

How can I get rid of it?

Jon

You could try a local garage. If not this firm https://www.yell.com/biz/safety-kleen-basildon-6820500/
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 28/06/2021, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks John. The local garage/car servicing place don't want to know, and that company you linked to only works on business accounts - I just rang them.

Comment

I donated rather more than that to our local pub 5th Nov. bonfire, got it off to a good start.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon K View Post
          Thanks John. The local garage/car servicing place don't want to know, and that company you linked to only works on business accounts - I just rang them.
          I think you will have great difficulty legally disposing it as petrol or paraffin but most recycling centres accept Engine oil ie https://secureweb1.essex.gov.uk/Disp...s=ENGINE%20OIL So mix it with used engine oil and dispose of it that way. I dont suppose the operatives will actually inspect the stuff, you just tip it into a storage tank. Another way is to mix it with engine oil and paint it on fences, makes a good wood preservative.
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 29/06/2021, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Sneaky! I like it I think I prefer the idea of disguising as oil, wouldn’t want to light a match anywhere near a fence painted with that mixture for an hour or two. I’d have to stand guard with a big sign and a fire extinguisher.

Cheers John

Comment

I use it as an effective weed killer

Comment

Originally posted by teamferret View Post
                I use it as an effective weed killer
                Some hope of that! My missus won't even use compost with peat in.

Comment

Working...
                X