Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exeter trial 2020 - Simms hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoLwjZrri6k sadly no Greeves
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 19/02/2021, 10:55 AM.

Very entertaining!!!

Comment

That looked a bit hairy! Especially on a 1200 Beemer with panniers! What is the rule with the stop box? Only half of them stopped.

Ian C.

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
        What is the rule with the stop box? Only half of them stopped.

Ian C.
        Think it depends what class you are in. If you look at the next video with the cars, there are two re start boxes. The yellow ones appear for modified road cars (VW's etc) and the red ones further up the his for out and out trials specials. ' standard' cars dont re start. So I think the same for bikes, presumably the Beemer is classified as a road bike and only the trials/trails/enduro bikes stop. There was a nice sounding Triumph in the first half went up clean with a nice sound. The event will loose that appeal if and when only electric vehicles are allowed

Comment

Yes, I know that some classes of car stop and some don't, but it looked less clear on the bikes. I am sure you are right, and it is something like that. There were some spectacular out of shape moments, that's for sure! I believe that particular hill is the most notorious in the Exeter Trial. It looks as though plenty of speed and keeping to the left is the key to that one. Some went a bit too far left....I think electric bikes will be too heavy, and that will be the end of it..
          Last edited by IanCordes; 19/02/2021, 06:16 PM.

Comment

The thought of 200+ competitors descending on a cafe/garage for a brief stop to recharge their EVs is not a reality! I had bikes that would go up the hills, but the huge number of miles on the road was never a draw!

Comment

Gas Gas already produce an electric trials bike not really suitable for something like the Lands End. https://electricmotorcycles.news/gas...ial-motorbike/ Anyway recharging would be a problem, you would need a back up of recharged battery packs. Looks like the days of the Lands End and Exeter Trials are limited..

Comment

ZERO Motorcycles in the USA have long been building 'leccy bikes, including a really good Trail bike. It would be quite good on MCC type hills, if only you could recharge it somewhere.

Comment

Would running the trial through a Cornish lithium mine help?They may recharge on the fumes; provided the lithium chemical cosh element doesn't kick in of course...... More research needed I suspect..........

Ian C.

Comment

Had to "Laugh out Loud" at that one Ian! A lot more research I would think...
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

I want a go!!!! 6day bike might be a bit of a handfull. Peter.

Comment

Peter, I used to do quite well on snotty climbs on my OSSA 6 day bike, although I had taken the precaution of dropping the compression a bit. That lowered the top speed down to an indicated 80mph......You had to get the tyres well set on the rims!

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                          Had to "Laugh out Loud" at that one Ian! A lot more research I would think...
                          Just a passing thought, Colin!

Comment

I rode the 2020 Exeter and an electric bike was entered in the event. There may be problems related to recharging, but I'm sure the technology will develop and off-road events like the Exeter will become electric vehicle only in due course, by necessity if for no other reason. I have seriously thought about fitting my TFS with an electric motor, so I can still ride a classic bike even if it will sound a bit different :-). At least it should pass the noise test.

For some time, a few mates and I have been talking about a GRA team, all Greeves-mounted of course, in the MCC trials, but that plan is some way off being realised yet.

One of the great things about MCC trials is the diversity of machinery that you can use, and the boxes - called 're-starts', are there to level the playing field somewhat. Typically entrants in a class for lightweight bikes might have to stop in the re-start box, but entrants in the classes for bigger bikes like the BMW in the film would not.
                            Last edited by ian640; 21/02/2021, 01:57 PM.

Comment

To be fair, motorcycles are expressly excluded from any requirement to be powered by electrickery within the legislation for cars to be so by 2030; also trucks, aeroplanes etc. Time is on our side

Comment

Working...
                              X