Norton in Administration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norton in Administration

Norton gone broke again. One chap had just paid £45,000 in full for a bike that was promised to be built in five weeks, unfortunately paid by bank transfer so no possibility of seeing that again.

Not surprising, Norton (unlike Triumph) had lost their way, concentrating on the bespoke and high end market rather than a moderately priced bike for the everyday rider.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 30/01/2020, 09:45 AM.

Comment

It seems they diversified into too many models, never having resolved the problems associated with their original 961. Finances spread to thin, the pension fund was plundered, then HMRC not paid.The writing has been on the wall for some time. A Chinese or Indian investor to the rescue, perhaps?

Comment

Garner has two other companies in administration too.....it makes you wonder.

Comment

Ian, The 650 engine was being built and developed by Zongshen so presumably they will manufacture it for use in something to recoup their investment. Very little appeared to have actually been manufactured at Norton so who knows what is made by whom? The Bank owns the Norton name as security for a £7m loan apparently.

Comment

Maybe Donington was a glorified assembly plant? I do believe most of the 961s were made there; engines, frame etc. I don't know about the later models, V4 & 650. It will no doubt unravel in due course.

Comment

Steeped in controversy from the start, I suspect it will be bought back by the present owners

Comment

For those interested the "Accessnorton" website has lots of speculation, advice and opinions.
                An article in the Guardian shows the issue is much wider ;https://www.theguardian.com/busines...torcycles-collapsed-amid-acrimony-and-scandal

Comment

They should have followed Triumphs type of operation. Get started with a modest range of 'everyman' bikes, get established and then expand. I was never interested in the glamour superbikes they produced but the recent 650s really looked to have potential and were affordable plus the name on the tank. If they proved successful then move on to the silly money superbikes.

Comment

More like Directors Milking the Company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X