Reducing number of classic bikes being ridden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing number of classic bikes being ridden

Dave Manning's editorial in OBM this month (Feb 2019) raises the subject of fewer classic bikes actually being ridden on the road, Dave mentions one of the main reasons for this, Increasing prices due the 'investment scenario' putting bikes out of the reach of owners who would ride them. There is also the factor of aging owners (not mentioned). As Dave says bikes are for riding and whilst some owners will happily spend more than the cost of a good classic on a modern bike which will rapidly loose its value, a classic, even regularly ridden will appreciate in value. true words indeed as it keeps the works moving.
    I also noted on a recent Facebook posting that a trials Greeves was kept polished as a feature in the owners living room. Some wag suggested he took a large photo of the bike and had that in his living room whilst the bike was sold to someone who would get it dirty
    In the Greeves world lack of ridden bikes is probably greater than some of the other makes due to the fact that the majority of our bikes are off roaders trials & scrambles.
    Anyway food for further discussion. For those of you who dont take OBM I have attached Dave's editorial to this thread.
    Attached Files

And we notice you won first prize......!

p.s. you will be in breach of copyright posting that page of a current publication; unless you have written permission from Morton's of course?
    Last edited by IanCordes; 31/01/2019, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Yes another bottle of Muc-Off, still have the first bottle, not a patch on Gunk. Does not dissolve grease and oil well. Just a mild detergent.

Comment

Blowing my trumpet here a bit but my '62 model 24TD does get ridden on the road and it is genuinely road legal unlike the vast majority of road trials machines. As a hint most of them dont have road legal trials tyres!
        Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

Working...
        X