London Ultra Low Emmision Zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Ultra Low Emmision Zone

Just checked my Greeves on ULEZ web site https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ult...m-checker-ulez
    It does not show it as exempt despite listing Historic taxd over 40 year old vehicles as exempt. On 25 October 2021 the ULEZ will be expanded to inner London (the area up to but not including the North and South Circular Roads). A map of the expanded zone is on the Ultra Low Emission Zone page. http://content.tfl.gov.uk/ulez-bound...tober-2021.pdf
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 15/06/2018, 12:50 PM.

This is the letter I have received today in response to my email asking why my 1965 Greeves in not exempt.
    Motorcycles are exempt from Congestion Charge anyway

Dear Mr Wakefield
    Thank you for your enquiry.
    Between now and 8 April 2019, when the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) is introduced, we are gathering additional
    vehicle compliance data and refreshing our database.
    All vehicles with a historic taxation class (40 years or older) are exempt from the Ultra Low Emission Zone.
    These vehicles are not exempt from the Congestion Charge and you will need to pay this when travelling within the
    Congestion Charging zone.
    If you have any questions, please visit tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone or call us on 0343 222 2222
    (textphone 0207 649 9123 if you have impaired hearing).
    Yours sincerely
    D. Milton
    Contracts & Operations Manager
    Transport for London

Comment

Well done John, and thanks!

Although, who wants to drive through London these days anyway? Not I, that's for sure.
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

I have just had this reply from TfL in answer to my query that motorcycles ARE exempt from Congestion Charge

We apologise for the incorrect information.
        All two wheeled vehicles are exempt from Congestion Charge, therefore you do not have to pay.

Comment

Something and a brewery springs to mind.

I just received the July edition of Classic Bike, in which Transport for London have bought a full page advert to announce "The £12.50 daily charge for motorcycles will apply in addition to the Congestion Charge".

It then directs readers to the ulez website. Which, of course, states that the Congestion Charge does not apply to two wheeled vehicles.

I suppose if you considered all motorcycles to be three wheeled outfits until you take the chair off, at which time they become two wheeled vehicles, you could explain this twisted logic. A bit of a shambles really isn't it?

Comment

I note that Rob has reported in LL 204 on the ACU's Non Territorial meeting where the London LEZ was discussed. Rob says he is uncertain as to how the LEZ (and ULEZ) applys to motorcycles. All vehicles with a historic taxation class (40 years or older) are exempt from the Ultra Low Emission Zone. so that includes all Greeves, for other younger vehicles this link to ULEZ web site https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ult...m-checker-ulez enables you to check individual
            vehicles.
            Nearly all motorcycles produced since 2007 meet the ULEZ standards, More on motorcycles here https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ult...e?intcmp=54365
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 10/12/2018, 10:38 PM.

Comment

I had this reply today in response to my enquiry about exempt vehicles. So looks like Greeves bikes are exempt.

Dear John Wakefield
              Our Ref: TFL-659114-1556813129 Customer Account Number: N/A
              Thank you for your enquiry received on 12 April 2019, regarding the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ). All vehicles that have a historic vehicle tax class will be exempt from the ULEZ. This tax class excludes any vehicle used commercially (for example, coffee vans or street food vans). In line with the existing LEZ discount all vehicles registered before 1 January 1973 will be exempt from the ULEZ, regardless of commercial use or otherwise. You will still need to pay the Congestion Charge if you drive in the zone, or you will receive a Penalty Charge Notice Please provide us a copy of your vehicle registration document (V5c) in order for us to confirm the compliance status of your vehicle. If you have any questions regarding the ULEZ, please visit our website at tfl.gov.uk/ulez.
              Yours sincerely
              D. Milton Contracts & Operations Manager Transport for London

Comment

I have now had further confirmation that motorcycles 40 years old and over and taxed as 'Historic Vehicle' are exempt from both the ULEZ and Congestion Charge in London. It would appear that the online VRM checker only checks the emission standard of the vehicle and will not state if your vehicle is exempt

Dear John Wakefield
                Our Ref: TFL-681767-1558529059
                Customer Account Number: N/A ULEZ Enquiry.
                Thank you for your correspondence received 14 May 2019, in regards to the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) exemption of vehicle registration AHJ23C. As your vehicle AHJ23C is classed as 'Historic Vehicle' we can confirm that is exempt from paying the ULEZ charge. Two wheeled motorbikes are exempt from paying the Congestion Charge. To clarify, a 'Historic' motorbike will be exempt from both ULEZ and the Congestion Charge. Please note that our VRM checker only checks the emission standard of the vehicle and will not state if your vehicle is exempt, unless you try to pay the charge to drive in the zone. If you have any questions regarding the ULEZ, please visit our website at tfl.gov.uk/ulez.
                Yours sincerely D. Milton
                Contracts & Operations Manager Transport for London

Comment

Working...
                X